Tascam 2488; bought new for almost $800, unused, still in box: ideas?

foxwaves

Gear owned
Tascam 2488
About 10 years ago I bought a new Tascam 2488 with the thought of doing some home recording. But my workload was very heavy then, and before I knew it, years had passed and I had never used the 2488 at all. Eventually I did begin recording, but with a computer DAW.

Occasionally I think of all the money I put into the still new, unused Tascam and wonder if it has any real practical use for a guy like me who records with a DAW such as Reaper. I know it's a great bit of equipment, and all the buttons and sliders would be a blast I know...but I just can't think of a good reason to open the box.

Should I just sell it?

The 1st question I'd be asking myself is if I would use this unit exactly as intended... as a complete portable multi-track solution to take with me somewhere to record with. Do I then have a need to export those tracks into my computer DAW .

What are it's other usefulness capabilities... could I use it as a small mixing board for inputs, as a monitor mixer, as an audio interface, can it be used to synchronize transports with my computer DAW & software of choice (likely by way of s/pdif for digital clock, and midi for transport commands).

If not, you might be able to get a few hundred for it on eBay, if you have no use for it with any suggestions made.

Reactions: foxwaves
I have a Tascam DP24. I do almost all my tracking in this unit, export the tracks to Reaper, and then add final FX and dynamics in the mix in Reaper. I've produced two CDs that way.

Thank you, gentlemen. I really don't need the 2488 for it's intended purpose as I'm comfortable with Reaper and doing almost everything in the box. I guess I was just hoping for some extremely good excuse to use it in conjunction with Reaper to somehow justify the $800 spent. And of course, gearheads like buttons and sliders, myself included. I suppose I'll just sell it. Thanks again for your input.

I myself have 2 Tascams, a FW-1884 & FW-1082. These are actually interface/mixer/DAW controller boards, and those are it's strong points. I was actually using my Tascam FW-1082 as a mixer/monitor mixer before I attempted to use it as an interface/controller, because my Win XP PC's had Aardvark Q10's & Aark 24 cards. After getting a Win 7 64 bit PC, I began using my Tascam FW's as interface/controllers.

I don't believe the Tascam 2488 does the above, as particular strong points. I suppose it could be used as a mixer/monitor mixer just as well though. But you'd have to ask yourself if it's worth keeping it just for that, VS selling it for much less than you paid for it. I'm not aware of it being able to be used as an interface, the USB seems to be for transferring tracks into the DAW afterwards only? It SURE would be an awesome piece if it could be used that way.

Last edited:
Thanks again Steve, for your thoughtful reply. I think you've confirmed it: as good as the Tascam 2488 is at what it was intended to do, using it in my situation would probably just trying to make something work that is not really needed. I have a decent interface, some outboard gear and more software than time to learn. I don't need a portable recorder either, so that's not an excuse for me to use it, haha. I can mix better in the box than I can with sliders and knobs, so that's probably not a reason for me to keep it either.

I really appreciate your advice and thoughts! Have a nice week.

With a desire for sliders, knobs & transport functions, it's best to use something actually designed for the task anyway... like an interface/controller... or just a dedicated stand-alone controller can used along side your favorite interface.

As good as they are, I'm so used to mixing & using transport functions within my DAW, that my Tascam FW controllers, almost seem unnecessary. But I got them really cheap, plus they have great features, plenty of I/O options, I can't complain.

Good luck selling off your 2488! It's sure to find a good home.

New threads

Members online