Tascam DM 4800 and Apogee Rosetta 200

denlig1963

From
quad cities,il
Gear owned
tascam us-2400
Can anyone give me the best way to connect theses together. I want to use the Apogee AD/DA converters and clock.

Should I go AES out from apogee to AES in tascam, Then AES out tascam to apogee in and then analog out to speaker. Would i be bypassing the tascam converters this way. I use out board pres that i will be running thru thru the apogee analog input

I want to use the 4800 for monitoring volume gain control.

Thank for any help

Short Reply..

DM's Project Page, Clock Tab; select D-IN1 as clock source, select same sample rate as you have on Rosetta. Now, connect Rosetta AES out to DM Digital-1 AES IN. Now connect DM's Digital-1 AES Out to Rosetta AES IN. Now connect Preamp analog outputs to Rosetta analog inputs and your monitors to Rosetta's analog outputs.
Assign DM Digital-1 INs to a stereo pair of inputs as DIN 1-L and DIN 1-R. Now assign DMs stereo Buss to go out Digital Out, 1L and 1R. Hook your monitors into the Rosetta's stereo analog outputs All set. You are now bypassing the DMs converters, using the Rosetta as a master clock for your DM, and doing the A/D conversion from your preamp before going into the DM.

Thanks TascMan,

Will i be clocking thru AES or connect to BNC to have apogee as the master clock?

Thanks

You can do either. No reason not to stay with the AES signal's clock. By selecting the D-IN for your clock source on the DM, the mixer will use the clock associated with the AES signal. If you do want to use the BNC WC signal, (like if you want to daisy chain several digital peices together), then make sure you switch the DM's external clock input to WORD.
haha....word.....

TascMan, Or any help,

I connect the apogee 200 and dm4800 via AES cables I/O. Would i still have control of the dm4800 monitor volume control.

OR

If i go pre amp to analog in apogee, AES channel 1 out apogee to dm4800 AES in, dm4800 stereo out XLR (for monitor volume control) to apogee channel 2 in, apogee channel 2 XLR out to both monitors.

Would this damage the apogee or affect the DA sound.

I would like to continue to use the monitoring section of the dm4800 if i can and not have to buy external monitoring since i sold my presonus central station when i purchase the 4800.

Please any help, cause i will be needing a solution to connecting the apogee/4800 sunday morning for a mixing session.

Thanks

Ok, First question..."I connect the apogee 200 and dm4800 via AES cables I/O. Would i still have control of the dm4800 monitor volume control."

If your rosetta's aes output is assigned to 2 channels in the DM, and those two channels are assigned to the STEREO buss, you definetly have monitoring control of the Rosetta's output signal. That's typically how you would do it. Mic preamp analog out into Rosetta's analog in, Convert to digital in rosetta, then aes out to DM's aes in, assgning DIN-1 input channels to stereo and to your DAW's input for recording. With your monitor speakers plugged into the back of the DM, monitor the DM's stereo buss out through the CR outs, or Stereo XLR outs, and there you have it.

Second Question...."If i go pre amp to analog in apogee, AES channel 1 out apogee to dm4800 AES in, dm4800 stereo out XLR (for monitor volume control) to apogee channel 2 in, apogee channel 2 XLR out to both monitors.

Would this damage the apogee or affect the DA sound.(?)"

First, it wont damage the sound if you watch the metering on the rosetta and keep it below 0db. The CR volume is essentially a line level fader in this case.
However...
I can't possibly see a reason for this. The best part of the Rosetta is the conversion and the use of the CODA function (so i'm told). If you went stereo XLR out of your DM you are using an analog signal. This output is not digital, so it's the DM that has done the conversion. Then, if you plug that into your Rosetta, Analog XLR in, then plugged your speakers into the Rosett'a XLR outs, you are not doing anything different then just plugging your speakers to the stereo outs of the DM. There is no volume control on the Rosetta, so really, the rosetta is not doing anything for your here.

HOWEVER.........., you COULD send the STEREO buss out through the AES outs from the DM, and plug your speakers in to the XLR analog outs from the Rosetta. You WILL have volume control in this case using the main STEREO fader.
This won't work though, when it comes time to send your final mix through the rosetta to use the coda funtion. You would likely send the stereo buss from your DAW directly through the AES out to the Rosetta, and you wouldn't have volume control for you monitors in that case, without effecting the final mix volume as well. Yet another reason to use the DM's CR or Stereo XLR outs for your monitors.

Third..............."I would like to continue to use the monitoring section of the dm4800 if i can and not have to buy external monitoring since i sold my presonus central station when i purchase the 4800."

Then why do you want to plug your monitor speakers into the rosetta's output?
I may be confused about what you want to accomplish, but, generally speaking, most peolpe use the Rosetta for the above mentioned reasons. To do that, it would be Preamps analog into rosetta, rosetta AES Out (DM clocked to rosetta) to a pair of channels in the dm. Assign those channels to the stereo buss, and also send them out a stereo track in your daw (doesn't have to be a stereo track btw). use your CR or stereo xlr outs to your monitors, using volume control on the DM (CR) or the main STEREO volume fader.
And typically, you would send your final mix AES out into rosetta, make CODA adjustments as neccessary for best sound, and then send that effected stereo back out via the rosetta's AES into a stereo track in your DAW and record, all while monitoring through the DM's stereo output to your monitors.

TascMan,

Thank u so much.The info u gave for connecting the apogge 200 to DM 4800 worked perfect and the apogee open up the sound of the board. It's all working great from the first time i hooked it up the way u explain it. I had to take a few days to adjust to the new sound but I love it. I once again thank u for your kind help.

denlig

awesome. So glad it's working.

I am also considering purchasing a A/D converter like a Linux or Rosetta with my DM3200. I primarily run vocals into the 3200 and into my Pro tools DAW via firewire. Is there a tremendous and noticeable difference running an A/D converter with a set up like mine?

I think the consensus here is no, there won't be some huge difference. The converters on the DM are excellent, and do the job well.

That being said, if you have a need to go above 96Khz, then a converter with a higher sample rate clock would be needed.
And, the Rosetta DOES incorporate the CODA features which will manipulate the sound, similar to an effect. If you buy it for that reason, you may or may not like the sound. But, if you blindly compared AD/DA converters at the same sample rate I believe you will find that you can't tell the difference.

I'm using the Rosetta 200 the same way for a while now thanks to Tascman (wink wink). I definitely hear a slight difference. The bottom end is definitely a little more tighter and defined as well as the top end. It's subtle but there is a difference.

cmaffia said:
I'm using the Rosetta 200 the same way for a while now thanks to Tascman (wink wink). I definitely hear a slight difference. The bottom end is definitely a little more tighter and defined as well as the top end. It's subtle but there is a difference.

Hi Charlie,

What sample rate are you using these days?

CaptDan

Hi CaptDan

I am still recording my projects in 48kHz/24 bit. I just got the Cubase 7 upgrade and upgraded my computer to a Sweetwater quad core workstation at the end of last year so I think it's time I tried 88/96khz sample rates to see how the new workstation handles it. Also I will start playing around with 64bit versions of all of my software.

Charlie

Sounds like a good plan.

Reason I bring this up: I'd be interested in your opinion - if tracking at 96kz using the DM's converters sounds the same, different, or otherwise, compared to using 48kz and the Apogee. I won't try to influence you before the fact, but if you have a chance to do that comparison, I'd be interested to see what you think.

CaptDan

I have a new project on deck that I will record at 96kz and I could master with and without the apogee for your comparison

cmaffia said:
I have a new project on deck that I will record at 96kz and I could master with and without the apogee for your comparison

As they used to say back in the 50s: "that would be swell!" :)

I'm sure others would be interested in the comparison too.

CaptDan

Hello I do not speak English well you guys could explain part of the routing and which pages are!!

grateful
Olavo

Olavo,

I really don't understand what you're asking. 'Routing' is a big subject.

If you have the manual (in a language you understand), it's a good start. Also - PLEASE post this message in a NEW TOPIC. This particular thread is almost ONE YEAR OLD!!!

Thanks.

CaptDan

New threads

Members online