TASCAM DM - The beginning of a love affair?

Tuviel

Gear owned
DM3200
So. What is it that you really love about your desk and the workflow? I was doing a test mix last night and just started to close my eyes and work. :geek: I haven't done that in ages. Feels fantastic to be able to listen more and "look" less. I gotta say, I'm also very impressed by the routing. Once you get your head wrapped around it it's extremely flexible and quite simple! Special shout out to CaptDan's DM Routing ZEN thread in particular.

I love that the DM does it all! At a bare minimum the board with FireWire card is all you really need! Everything else is gravy (nothing wrong with gravy). No other product can match its specs in its price range. They don't exist!

"What is it that you really love about your desk.."

There are many things - the biggest one being that I never feel hamstrung or limited by the console. Plus.....more than enough channel faders (I've rarely used more than 30 OTB), quick access to DAW control, comprehensive automation, excellent conversion (despite opinions to the contrary), multi-option patching/routing, useful, decent sounding efx, surgical 4-band EQ, programmable encoders, big meter bridge with layer override, perfect form factor for retaining a monitoring position 'sweet spot,' TMC's meters which can be set to 'average/RMS', and a bunch of other things.

I also like the layout; the feature lighting is subdued and easy on the eyes in a darkened environment - unlike some of the newer offerings which look like distracting pinball machines on steroids (sorry - if I'm going to sit in front of a mixer for 6 hours, I don't need to be pummeled by bright, garish colors suitable for an arcade).

Best of all, there's always something new to learn; Tascam designed a LOT of flexibility into the DMs - and nothing beats an 'AHA!-moment' when you discover another way to do something.

And - it looks great; sleek, solid, and inviting. I'd vote a DM into the Smithsonian or M.O.M.A. if I could.

As you can see, I'm quite unhappy and depressed with my purchase. :geek:o_O

CaptDan

So far I own everything in this particular lineage. I started with a DM24 and used it til 2012 when I replaced it with a DM3200 and just recently purchased a DM4800 (that I wish I would have gotten in 2012 now that I have it). For me, this console has been about flexibility and capability. I just took the DM4800 on a live sound gig at a festival and it was fantastic. I normally have used my DM24 on live sound gigs but knew this one would be too much for that or even the 3200. I've been shopping for a 4800 for the studio for a month or so and pulled the trigger on the best deal I'd seen.

I just ordered some custom cables to facilitate installing the DM4800 but I'd love another live sound gig with it before it replaces the 3200 in a month or so. What a great console!

https://goo.gl/photos/xmA1ZwGaS6RXFQYe8

I love the fact that the DM has a variety of digital I/O that's easily routed to any analog destination. For example, I have a TC m300 that I haven't used in years. Always thought the analog outs were too noisy for critical sources. But it's got SPDIF! So I set it up on an aux send and bam! Quiet as day. I'm loving this unit now. So easy to use and sounds great connected via SPDIF. All smiles over here. :0)

New threads

Members online