TASCAM DP 32 SD unable to “ mute” monitors while recording

Damian Garis

Gear owned
TASCAM DP 32- SD
Hello! I would appreciatte some help!
Im strugling to ”mute“ my monitors while Im recording (throw a mic) and using my headphones. If I use “Monitor level knob” to lower volume it lowers both sounds: monitor and headphones.
If I use “mute” botton it doenst affect anything. Im confused cause havent found any info related on factory manual.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks Mark. But how is that posible?
If Im recording with a Mic all audio from monitors will be feed the mic. Options?
Turn off Monitors? Get a mixer?
Many Thanks

I think the idea is (still) that in a 'standard' studio monitoring takes place in a control room and recording sources are in the recording room. I'd say with a recorder like the DP that's a design flaw, with many (most?) users recording in the same room.

Thanks Arjan.
But I have a friend that has old model of DP 24 and it has a mute button. Wich makes me wonder why Im not able to do it in 32 model.
Truth is that a consumer that can afford this kinds of average basic machines dont have a “ separeted “ room to justify the absense of that option. Anyway thanks for your imput!

If I use “mute” botton it doenst affect anything. Im confused cause havent found any info related on factory manual... I have a friend that has old model of DP 24 and it has a mute button. Wich makes me wonder why Im not able to do it in 32 model.
If you look it up in your Owner Manual you will learn the purpose of the Mute Button.

I have the original DP-24. As I wrote above, the monitor system does not have the ability to mute monitor speakers.

The 7 posts I pointed you to have relevant discussions and alternatives. Did you read those?

Last edited:
No I havent. The reason why I write on a Forum is to receive specific informattion fast and accurate. Im not English native spoken and takes me quite time to go deep on those discussions.
I understand there is no button to mute speakers. So what is the alternative?
Many thanks

Reactions: Axe Victim
I understand there is no button to mute speakers

Turn them off and monitor with headphones.

Reactions: muttomatic
This has been discussed here before. As wonderful and powerful as these recorders are.... they are not perfect. For $500 - I can live with a few shortcomings.

I simply reach over and turn my monitors off. I tend to track and monitor with headphones- and mix, tweak, and master with near-fields.

I have found that over time I have developed a habit of planning what I do... so I'm not having to constantly turn them on and off. I don't even give it a second thought at this point.

For how I work - it is a minor inconvenience.

I use an external monitor controller. Full control of 4 sources and 2 monitors, plus 2 headphone amp controls.

Reactions: David Porter

New threads

Members online