Tascam Model 12 Midrange noise problem

https://www.tascamforums.com/members/mjk.8288/
Hi MJK, You put a like on my post, but do you have any clue upon what's going on with my problem ? ... I mean, what do you think it is ? ... Dust ! (Everything is very clean). bad wires, (I have all new wires) ... I had a problem when trying to plug into, input G, track 7 ... I admit, I forced it in a little ... But still, everything was A one, ... Now I'm getting really bad distortion or white noise ( sorry if I'm loosing my english ) Now with nothing plugged in I get very loud distortion noise, witch I never had before ( I did some test when I bought my Tascam Dp 24) Everything was WOW ! ... No white noise or hiss or any distortion at all. My question is : What happened ? What do you think it may be ? ... Please, ( sorry if I am not chatting in the right room, I search all I could through the forum and this one was the closest I could find ... I am new here and kind of feel like an imposter, all you guys are pros compare to me ) ... I can't believe I had this Tascam for 10 years now and only starting to learn about it. Well I guess what being retired means. Try new stuff, explore new ways to find another passion into life... Well I said enough now, only one more word ... Thank you :)

Reactions: -mjk-
https://www.tascamforums.com/members/shredd.9904/
Thanks shredd, the problem is that everything was perfectly set, then I took a little coffee brake and when I got back I could here that distortion white noise. What happened meanwhile ? ... Thanks for your time I appreciate even if it does not resolve my problem ... So ... in return if I find out about it, I will surely share what the problem was ... I really do not feel like taking it all apart to find out ... I know how much patience it takes with all them mini small parts, I'm not in good physical shape ( I shake quite a bit ) That comes with age and lots of pain ... Better laugh at it ... Thank you :)

Hm. Sorry to hear that - it's very strange that everything is set as you wish, sounds good, THEN later has horrible noise when you haven't done anything. The only thing that makes sense is that something is going wrong as it sits - overheats/overloads, something like that.

I've read here n there that sometimes this is a power-supply issue (gets noisy as it gets hot, overloaded, whatever?). This is something that the Smart-ysh Doods here that have a clue about electronics tech could address...I'm clueless. I spend the first 10 minutes of every session trying to remember which way the pointy end of the guitar goes. Brain Death is SO sad, don't you think?!?o_O

Good luck!!:cool:

Reactions: Remi Lacroix
DP-24...white noise...track 7...Got new cables, still the same...factory reset track and unplugged everything...still ear that noise...every track...same white noise...turned the trim/ gain knob all the way up, leave all tracks down...lift up the master level...white noise...high enough so I can see it...on the output lights...still hear white noise when the trim/gain knob is at the lowest...Everything is OFF, EQ, Dynamics, Effets everything is set on !Factory reset

Shredd's gain staging idea is a possibility. But as the noise presents with all controls set to minimum or off, and still is visible on the Stereo Master Bus meters at unity gain, there's something more basic going on if you're absolutely certain your factory reset has turned everything back to the original, out of the box, condition.

So shredd's comment on possibly being power supply related may be something worth considering (for example, is the unit connected directly to the mains; what else is on the power circuit; is your DP-24 connected via USB to your computer, etc.)

Also look through all the "2488, DP24/32/SD" forum sticky thread indexes; and if still no joy, try a general search of that forum for white noise threads or power supply threads.

If still no joy after searching that forum, I'm guessing the only real option for you is systematic, methodical testing. There are many variables involved, requiring a lot more precise information using exact TASCAM descriptive terminology, before we might be able to offer an informed, educated guess.

Yours is a specific DP-24 digital portastudio question. In the future, when you have a question, posting in the "2488 and DP-24/32/SD" forum rather than posting in this "Model 12/16/24" forum could also help another portastudio owner who may experience the same thing.;)

Last edited:
Thanks Shredd and Mark Richards... I did some search into the forum hopping posting at the wright place (thanks) ... I may have a ground problem, I live in a old house, and yess many things plugged into only one outlet. Thanks again. I think I found the wright place to post so I will copy my problem and post it into the 2488 / dp24 /dp32

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
@Remi Lacroix said:
Hi MJK, You put a like on my post, but do you have any clue upon what's going on with my problem ? ... I mean, what do you think it is ? ..

I am not certain. The others have given you some excellent things to check. In such cases I normally disconnect all outboard devices except the monitors and I try to establish what the nominal noise floor is for the unit itself. You may have a dirty preamp or track for some reason. If the unit is noisy on it's own at high gain you can try to raise the output gain of the devices that you put into the DP-24 so you don't have to add the gain in the DP. Honestly though there are so many variables that without methodical testing it is very hard to say what the exact problem may be. Do you have the Tascam test song for the DP-24? That is a good place to start with testing.

Hi again, *thanks everyone* yes there is so many variables to check into. I had some recordings done just before the problem appeared, the sound is good, just has the demo song too is good. I did a little more test, I think the problem is within the inputs, or the pre-amp. Has soon as I raise the inputs trim gain the noise gets in and that is without anything plugged into it. (I do only a little work at the time 'cause I have lots of pains in my body and that affects my patience, better to laugh at it) :)
I'm an (old school) electrotechnician, it looks like a bad filter (capacitor) into the pre-amp. or a bad ground, I really don't feel like taking it apart to fix it. Has I know that now days there ain't much we can do to fix things beside replacing a module or so, and there is no more electrotechnician around (all retired) and I don't have any equipment to test things out.
One step at a time, I always figure out some ways to fix things, but this time it is a real challenge. The most frustrating thing is ... I was into a creative mood ... (It maybe hard to follow me on this issue, I posted at the wrong place, and did a copy/past into the 2488 / DP 24/32 forum) sorry.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.