Teac X-10 Play is slow to engage while Pause is OK

fbaratto

From
Italy
Gear owned
35-2 424 MkII X-10 X-3 II
Hello everyone,
I was able to clean up some tape debris on the rec head of my X-10 but now I've got another problem....when I press Play on the transport button the pich rollers move slowly and sometime incompletely towards the capstans...but when I press Pause they jump up at regular speed...
The phenomenon decreases if I use the play/stop/Pause buttons for a while working them up....

Do you guys think it's a question of lubrication in the pulleys, arms and leverages???
I'm gonna have to open it up and check but first I would appreciate some advice....thanks a lot y'all!!!
Fab

Hello,

I have an X-300 which has a similar transport as the X-10, but with one capstan. I can send you a pic how the transport looks like under the front cover. upload_2019-11-17_23-0-29.png
The tape lift is moved by a solenoid which is the black coil on the right. It works against the spring under the counter. If the solenoid gets current, it pulls the rod against the spring. By the pause button you only cut the current from the solenoid coil. So, in my opinion, if it is a lubrication issue on the liftining mechanism, it would happen also when you push the pause button. Instead I suspect either the core of the solenoid is blocked somehow, or the solenoid has some issue, eg. it does not get enough current to work against the spring. But you for sure need to open the lid and have a look what is going on there, can be a lot of things..
BTW, in order to remove the front cover, you need to remove all the rollers, the pinch roller too (beware of the tiny washers, they are difficult to obtain), all the pot knobs, and finally the head cover, (in case of the x-300) the two central screws (actually one screw and one of the head cover posts) and the screws in the four corners. Start to lift then the cover from the bottom side. Good luck!

If the linkages have not been serviced then it is common to have that issue with an X10 or any dual capstan type deck. It is dried up or going that way grease.

The X300 deck is a totally different cheaper design than the X10 so no it is nothing the same as it . There are switches that go bad on the X 3, X300 and like decks the X10 does not use those.

Thank you both. Actually it is the way Sam (Skywave TDR) described. The linkages have gone sort of dry, since after a few shakes and rockings the transport works ok. I have a kit with a special oil for Teac products and I will lubricate the linkage set. Please Sam could you tell me, in case I need grease and not oil, which kind of grease is the best and where to get it? Thanks again!
Fab

I have been using Lubriplate 105 grease for many years and have never had a unit come back with hard grease when that was used. I have gotten a 10 oz tube from hardware stores and Home Depot had it and I ordered my last 4 tubes from off E bay as an automotive vendor was selling it.
I can't say I have used it for 45 years but it has been a long time. Oil in the linkages is the wrong product as some people put in there- it runs out. Also I have discovered a few machines that were cleaned of grease- poorly I might add, but nothing put back in metal to metal. What was the logic of that?

Reactions: -mjk-
Thank you Skywave, I'd gladly use it right away. Alas, Amazon has it but it costs a whopping €171 for a 10-oz pkg.....absurd!!! I gotta find it at a reasonable price somewhere maybe in England or Germany....man this incenses me to the max...
Fab

I did find some sellers in the UK from e-bay. I have to check whether they can be trusted and the actual grease they market is THE Lubriplate 105...
In the meanwhile could you suggest some alternatives??? Thanks a lot!
Fab

There are other greases that people have used but to be honest I just bought 4 or 5 tubes of 105 and it came from E bay which is World Wide so you should be able to get it there too. They did make a smaller tube than 10 Oz but maybe that is all you need. I only use Lubriplate 105 grease here with the exception being when putting damping silicon on tension arms that comes from Clearco.
The Lubriplate is only $7.00 here in the states-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lubriplate-Assembly-Lube-Grease-10-oz-Tube-C105-L0034-092-03494-Sold-Each/233199154235?epid=1726305321&hash=item364bc0b43b&_trkparms=ispr=1&enc=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&checksum=233199154235b03187d8895e4d5b9e8453ba9b5f8cac

I never use Amazon as they do not back the products they sell and their prices as you know are grossly over priced- they do nothing good for anyone.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.