Tracking a file on the 2488

Dusty

Gear owned
2488 Portastudio
Hello,
I am hoping someone can help me. I used my 2488 to record band practice and I want to track all the songs we played. Is there a way to do this ?

Thank You
Dusty

What do you mean? Tracking = recording in most people's language. What exactly are you trying to do? (and don't try to use terminology you don't understand).

Sorry for the misunderstanding Rusty but since I explained in my question that I did record practice and want to track (make individual files) of the songs we played and everyone else I’ve every used this terminology with understood what I meant I didn’t think it would be an issue. I appreciate your douchey response though !

Dusty, when you record your band, you "lay down tracks". This is a universal recording studio colloqial expression also known as "tracking".

From your follow up it sounds like you just let the "tape roll" from the start of practice until the end, and you have multiple songs in one long contiguous file that you want to break up into individual song files.

If that's the case, in general you have two options:
(a)Export that one long file into a DAW and use the DAW to break it into the individual songs;
(b)Use the 2488 to "Master" each song individually, move the individual master over to a computer, and repeat until done.

Once you have the individual song files, you could "burn" them to a standard audio CD, which creates standard "audio tracks" to play back on a standard CD player; or burn them to a CD as individual computer data files.

I work with a DP-24, and I'm not familiar with the older 2488. Option "b" is how I would do it on the DP-24. Perhaps someone will come along with more specific suggestions.

If you've misplaced your 2488 manual, it's available for free download on the TASCAM web site as an Acrobat PDF file. The manual should have a section on the mastering process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusty
Ok ... so you're here all of a week, and you INSULT me? Fuckin' little twit. You don't have any g'damn idea what you're talking about, or who you're talking to. Eat shit.

Rusty you are correct I don't have any g'damn idea what I'm talking about which is why I'm on this forum. I am pretty confident though while I'm conversing with you (as confirmed by your last message) I'm dealing with a complete douche. I do however understand that you have probably been a douche your whole life and possibly even come from a long line of douches and maybe don't even understand your "Douchiness" so I thought I would just try and point this out.

"What do you mean? Tracking = recording in most people's language. What exactly are you trying to do? (and don't try to use terminology you don't understand)." = Douchey

What do you mean? Tracking = recording in most people's language. What exactly are you trying to do? = Not Douchey

Hope This Helps !
Have A Nice Day !

Reactions: Arjan P
What you should have replied was "I recorded my band in one take, and want to break it into individual songs". But you tried to sound like you know what you're doing, and when I asked you to clarify in plain English you come back with insults. Have a nice meal.

Zombie alert, just had to laugh, what a way to introduce yourself, Dusty! Are you still on here?

Not since April 26, 2018.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.