Troubleshooting - Model 16 records empty tracks

jwulf

Gear owned
Model 16; DR70D
Hey, I have just unboxed my recently purchased Model 16 und have trouble recording. I have read the manual for a while and cannot figure out what I might be doing wrong, so maybe someone can help me out here:

Device: Model 16
SD Card: SanDisk Extreme PRO sdxc 128GB

I have plugged in a microphone into channel 1. The gain is turned up, MODE switch is set to LIVE, channel 1 is routed to the Main mix, I can hear it via the Phones Output, so the mic obviously works.

I have armed Channel 1 for recording with the REC button above the channel fader, it is blinking.

When I check the level meters 1-8 in LIVE INPUT mode on the Meter Screen, nothing moves, even though I still hear the Signal via Phones and the Main Meter to the right of the Meter Screen shows a signal. When I record, the channel’s REC button stays lit, but still no signal on the meters. When I save the song and extract the SD card afterwards, I see it has recorded an empty track.

So what am I missing here?

What confusing me is this passage from the manual on page 39:

"The following recording operations assume that […] input signals have been assigned as track recording sources […]"

Does this mean pressing the REC button on the Channel, so it is armed for recording (which I did) or something else (I missed)?

Or am I doing anything else wrong? I have tried different channels and input devices (a bass guitar) and observe the same behavior.

I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Some additional information:
  • The SD card has been freshly formatted using the Model 16 before each attempt
  • I have not run any firmware update yet since I don't want to do that before I am sure the device works properly.
  • I additionally tried having the mode-switch of the Channel I am trying to record set to MTR. With that configuration, I don't hear any signal via phones, otherwise observe the same behavior when recording (no signal on the level meters, empty tracks are recorded)

Last edited:
Have you checked for a solution in the "Tutorial and Informational Videos" sticky thread in the shaded area at the top of this forum? In that sticky thread's index (first post) I see several video posts that might be helpful.

Last edited:
> Have checked for a solution in the "Tutorial and Informational Videos" sticky thread in the shaded area at the top of this forum?

Yes, I have, unfortunately I could not find an answer. I found another video on YouTube where the exact same thing I want to do is done (record to SD card with Model 16, so no DAW involved), and as far as I can tell, I am setting up everything like he is. It just seems that I am not getting any signal into the MTR section.

EDIT: I also checked the "No Sound"-Solutions Thread and am rather sure, that this:

[blockquote]
When a MODE switch is set to “MTR” [/I][Channels 1~22], the signal from the input jack on that channel will be recorded
to the associated MTR Track if the channel REC button is activated and the Transport REC button is activated.
[/blockquote]

doesn't happen in my case - when I have a MODE-Switch to MTR, the REC-Button and the Transport REC-Button activated, still nothing is recorded on the channel (an empty WAV file of recording length is created nevertheless), even though there certainly is a signal on that channel's input jack since I can hear it when in LIVE mode.

I made sure, no PFL buttons are pushed BTW.

EDIT2: Sorry, I haven't figured out how to quote correctly yet...

Last edited:
i dont have a model 16 but i see there are post switches under the mon 2 knobs i don't know what these do but could be worth a look

New threads

Members online

No members online now.