Trying to set up a TEAC M15 console in 2023

Somekid.mp3

Gear owned
Teac M15 Console
Hi all,

I recently bought a Teac m15 console from the 70s. I got it for a steal. The console is a thing of beauty. I’m having trouble getting a strong signal from my interface to the direct outs on the channels.

Here’s my signal path:

Computer to Scarlet 2i2 (upgrading soon).

Scarlet into M15

I go direct out on the channels using rca to xlr in on my studio monitors.

I’ve tried both the line outs and headphone jack from the Scarlet to do a stereo split into either the xlr ins and rca ins on the M15. Both produce a thin sound, no bass and it’s really thin. I have to really drive the signal because it’s very faint even at peak volume

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or if the channels are busted.

——-

Things I’ve tried:

Laptop direct into channel via rca then direct out rca out to powered speakers.

scarlet line out (quater inch to xlr) to Teac xlr in then direct out to speakers.

Scarlet headphone out to Teac rca direct in then direct out to speakers.

——

I’m assuming that maybe it is an impedance or output problem?

I’ve checked the manual for specifications buts very technical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would start by testing the console standalone, to make sure all the functions work before I introduced possible interconnection issues while trying to interface with other devices.

Update:

Console works fine!

Turns out I was missing a couple steps when I was setting up the routing.

First of all you absolutely need to have a rca connection between the access send and receive ports. The console will not work properly without this. There is no internal bridge inside the channel so you need to make this physical connection.

You will also need to do the same kind of patch between the access send and receive ports on the busses.

Note: I have my speakers hooked up to the control room output rcas in the back of the console.

I did the patch on the channels I intended to use and did the following:

Scarlet into xlr input on two channels (5&6). One for left, one for right.

On channel 5, I selected the mic to monitor A (make sure to flip the switch to bus in) and panned it left.

I did the same process with channel 6 but I used bus 2 instead of 1 and panned it to the right.

After I did all of this, the signal was strong and clear. I will keep this thread updated as I integrate it more with my daw.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.