US 16x08 intermittent latency issues

alanevil

Gear owned
US 16x08, DR05
Windows 10, quadcore processor, 16GB memory, Ableton Live, US16x08

I've searched for this issue but it appears the previous threads are all for Windows 8 or older systems so none of the solutions apply in Windows 10.
I took my laptop and interface to the rehearsal space of a new band to track some songs and the first day it worked flawlessly with only the tiniest flanging effect from latency, totally usable, no clicks, very stable. Turned everything off, took the laptop home with me, brought it in the next day, plugged in and there's a slapback delay from latency so strong it made it impossible to track mic'ed inputs and monitor headphone only (vocals, guitar) tracks simultaneously. Nothing I did fixed it: Restarting the computer, then the interface, then opening the Tascam settings panel so the "engine" was started, then opening Ableton Live;
Shutting the computer down, starting the interface, then the computer, then the settings panel and Live;
Etc.
Every time I went into both the settings panel and audio options under Live and set the buffer in both places as low as it will go and it made no difference whatsoever.
None of the advised advanced audio property tabs exist in the settings for Windows 10 so none of the previous threaded solutions apply. Anyone use Windows 10 and has solved this problem?
After a while we just tracked some stuff we could do without headphones on (not much) so this thing pretty much stole an entire session from us. I need a method to ensure the same performance every time I use this thing or it has to go on eBay.

Wow. Really active community around this device, I see. After wrestling with this shit for an hour or two it appears that the solution is to have the interface on and plugged in before starting the computer, wait until everything is loaded (I'm switching to an SSD for SURE), start the DAW, get all the channels needed engaged, then go to the interface's control panel and crank the buffer up and back down. Boom, problem solved. After any pause in use or change of session I have to do it again.

So great. Now someone tell me how to get the back panel inputs to work on this thing, please. That's another thread.

Hi Alan, and you're lucky. I've tried to contact support twice and did not receive anything... . Anyway, I think I have a likewise problem. All starts well and after some time (perhaps by adding plugins in Ableton Live etc, live channel inputs etc...), the latency starts to drift. If I change to another ASIO driver and then back, all seems to reset and the latency is again standard. This is absolutely not normal behaviour, so I mailed Tascam. This is their answer: "". I'll try your buffer trick, hopefully this helps also as it is less intrusive then switching ASIO drivers.

Hi Alan, there is a new version of the mixer panel. This certainly installs a new driver version. Can you share your experience if this is better. I don't know yet. Just installing.

In regards of latency drift, the only workaround for me is by disabling PDC (Plugin Delay Compensation) per plugin in Reaper.

I get exactly the same thing Alan. And yes ... changing the buffers up and down again does seem to reset the driver. However it intermittently breaks again. Totally not helpful in the middle of a recording or a performance. The new driver does not help - it actually makes it worse giving me about half a second latency on first bootup until I change buffers...
I'm using Ableton 10 - it replicates on the latest Beta as well.
Windows 10 fully patched.

Just got a 16x08 today.

The 16x08 built in ASIO is resetting to 1024samples which coincides with the mixer's meter's latency.

I can make it happen if I load a project in FL Studio once is loaded. Discovered after reloading the project. I could 100% reproduce the issue.

The solution (for now) is to use the card through ASIO4All. By doing that I can confirm the card's latency never varied and latencies are still great.

Reactions: Craig Fontes Jr

New threads

Members online

No members online now.