Using multi effects

Rob Holt

Gear owned
2488 mkii
Hi, bought a 2nd hand 2488mkii last month. Trying to get to grips with it, the manual is blowing my mind.
When I lay down a track using multi effects I don't seem to be able to record a 2nd track, without the effect disappearing from the 1st one. Not sure if it is possible, or whether something obvious is escaping me
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

I'm sorry - I can't help solve your problem. But I'm curious- how much did you pay for that 2488?

When I lay down a track using multi effects I don't seem to be able to record a 2nd track, without the effect disappearing from the 1st one. Not sure if it is possible, or whether something obvious is escaping me
@Rob Holt - it's been a while (I have a 1st-gen DP-32 now) but I used all three iterations of the 2488 for maaaaany years - including the 'neo I have now.
And as I recall, the 2488's have the same limitation the DP's do: you can only have one multi-fx set up, and only insert it to one channel (it's an INSERT effect - not a SEND effect, which can receive sends from more than one channel).
So when you insert it into a channel, it's there...until you insert it somewhere ELSE.

That's the best I can 'splain it. I imagine the smarter guyz here could elaborate and give the technical reasons...but that's the basic gist.
Or, of course, you could just read the stickies at the top of this forum - there's ones specifically about using FX; they're largely geared towards DP's, but the process is pretty much the same on the 2488's.

PS: @David Porter - you can purchase my mint-condition 2488neo if you want...I use my DP almost exclusively now.
But I got lucky, having a 1st-gen DP...considering how crappy the DP-xxSD is by comparison, it'll cost ya. Better bring some cash, and maybe some chocolate milk and nachos.:D

Last edited:
apart from having midi, what else is different between the old DP32 and the new DP32SD?

Did it have a CD burner too like the 2488?

Speaking of, is it worth keeping the 2488 just to burn stereo masters from the SD? Is that practical?

Reactions: -mjk-
@BazzBass yes, the DP-32 has a CD burner.

I find the methodology of burning a CD from mastered mixes on the DP very weird and hard to do, frankly. Apparently you can't just load a bunch of external files and burn them. What you have access to for burning has to be processed in the machine. I suppose one could run externally created files through the processes at unity and that might work but TBH I haven't bothered with it.

The main function that I use my DP-32's CD drive for is ripping my CDs to wav files, and for that it works great.

Reactions: BazzBass

New threads

Members online