Vocal Processor using Effects Send

lake_guy

Hi

Newbie with the Tascam products and have a question about vocal processing.

I have been looking at a few of the voice processing modules, the TC Helicon brand appears to have several different units to choose from. My question with them, or if anyone knows of other good vocal processors, is if I can process dry vocal tracks recorded with the DP32SD or do they only work as an effects processor between the mic and the DP32SD? The solution I'm looking for would be the hardware version of processing tracks in a DAW using the DP32SD effect send. I'm waiting for the DP32SD unit to ship so I haven't had any chance to try the on-board effects so would appreciate any input on them too.

I know the TC Helicon products will work between the mic and the recording unit but I would really rather avoid recording the altered version.

I located for the TC Helicon VoiceLive Rack version that you can use it as an Aux Send so that will work. The TC Helicon VoiceWorks Plus will also work. Still trying to determine if the VoiceLive Touch 2 will work which would have the added benefit of an easier live setup if I wanted to use it that way too.

Pasting in the reply I got from TC Helicon on the use of the VoiceLive Touch 2.

There are a couple of way to connect the unit in this case. You can use an insert, if one is available on the mixer of your recorder, or use the send a return from your recorder to the VL2. If you are using a send a return be sure to turn on the 'Lead mute' under the 'setup-I/O' page, and also confirm the output level range is set correctly for the return channels you are connecting to on the recorder.

And then found this in the TC Helicon forum

Question
Can I use the VoiceLive products in a Aux send/return on my mixer?

Answer
The VoiceLive products are really designed to be used with a single microphone plugged straight into it and not to be used in a loop type configuration. If you do want to use it in a loop, you will need multiple DI boxes to accommodate the input and output signals.

Take the aux send from the mixer and plug it into a DI box to plug into the VoiceLive XLR input. The output(s) should be returned onto a mic channel(s) if at all possible. If this is not an option you'll want to use a passive DI box in reverse. Take the output from the VoiceLive into a DI box XLR output connector. Keep in mind you'll also need an XLR female to female cables to accommodate this connection. Take the 1/4" input on the DI box and plug it into your returns of your mixer.

Using this method, the signal returned from the VoiceLive play will be layered over your dry signal. In the case of effects like Reverb, uMod(Micromod) and Delay, this may be exactly what you're looking for. If that's not the case you may want to turn on the 'lead mute' under setup.

When using the VoiceLive play in a loop, you will need to turn off harmony, double and hartune effects as these effects are not designed to work in a loop with multiple voices or microphones. If you are using these effects with one microphone/signal only in the loop, you may want only the effected signal to be returned. The effect would then operate as more of an Insert. In order to accomplish this, set your Aux send to PRE-Fader and then turn the volume of your channel fader to 0.

In the Tascan manual, page 27 - Connecting Other Equipment it shows a diagram with the Effect Send out to and External Effect and then routing the send back into a channel to record. Page 33 discusses this operation a little more too.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.