What are you using to hold up your DM4800?

wm_b

Veteran
Gear owned
DM3200, DM4800 and DM24
As I plan to transition from an DM3200 to a DM48oo I am left wondering how in the world I'm going to hold this thing up. My DM 3200 fits nicely between the two halves of a 140 year old antique table. It's right where a leaf would go and allows the DM3200 to slightly recess into the table. It's an interesting studio prop but I'm ready to let it go. Also it kind of limits my monitor positioning.

I don't have the budget right now for an Argossi desk so I'm a bit up in the air. I am somewhat handy with tools and wouldn't rule out building something but again, cost can't be underestimated in a DIY studio desk. My cause for moving up to a DM4800 is the expanded AUXs and more card slots for some future expansion.

Let's hear/see what's working for you.

If you're committed and prepared, you can build an excellent pro-looking desk for under $500. It won't necessarily look like an Argosy, but it'll function as well if not better. And it can equal or exceed the same type of desk selling for $1300.

To get an idea of certain DIY-friendly designs, check these out:

http://dtrack24.wix.com/dash#!services

I used a similar concept, did 95% of the work myself; total cost was about $350.

Here are some shots:
http://www.gliskrecords.com/#!studio/c5u1

CaptDan

Still using an odd desk I bought at Office Depot almost 20 years ago. It was/is a black melamine top with fake mahogany half-round trim on a black powder coated steel frame. Much deeper than most desks (deep enough for an analog console), much wider and with two square steel reinforcement running the length of it, it looked and proved to be very heavy duty. It came with a separate work surface, a radiused corner connector, a pencil drawer and a matching file cabinet for 200 bucks.

image.jpg

Reactions: captdan
I like both of these setups but I'm starting to think I might go with something minimal. Less cost, less bulk, less close reflections between me and the monitors. I'm a fickle pickle so maybe next week I'll change my mind. I like the photos I see of Mark Howard's mobile setup I like the pure utility of the rig.

I used an Ikea Jerker desk for a long time...I know classic WTF Ikea name. But if you can find one it's a great piece of kit. I still use the truss frame for shelfs and display monitor mounts though I splurged and bought a custom Sterling Modular desk with dual left and right racks...it wasn't cheap. Doesn't look like they make it anymore since the DM's aren't chic these days. There are gobs of inspirational photos and links on Google. Enough to make your head spin. You could probably find a good old Jerker on C-list with a little patience....Ikea doesn't sell it anymore, but maybe something like it. It was cheap and has lasted about 15 years now. Have fun.

Hi there! My stand is essessentially this QUIK LOK mixer (didn't cost me that price at all). I bought the rack attachments and a CPU stand that goes underneath. There are also speaker stands wings that I do not use. I've had it for a long time.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.