Why all the changes that reduced the options?

Powerman6900

Gear owned
Tascam 2488 mk2
Since 1988, Tascam has made leaps and bounds with each multitracker they've released. I considered the 2488mk2 the ultimate for what it could do in 2008 when I got mine. I felt like the only thing that could out do this is if they made one with a terabyte drive, 48 track capability and unlimited USB functionality. But the DP24SD has done the moon walk backwards by 1. removing midi, 2. sync functions, 3. the effects combo the 2488mk2 had and most importantly: #4 Out of the box user friendliness.

It took me 24 hours to get it to bark...something completely unheard of. I had to dive into Phil Tippings' tutorial videos to crack the safe. There is definitely an opportunity here for a rehash of the unit. I would recommend combining the best qualities of the old (2488mk2/Neo)with the new(Dp24sd) for bigger bang outta the production without sacrificing the bells and whistles.
Tascam is my Brand and the it gets the job done...So don't think I'm dissing..I'm a die hard hands on Tascam user for 30 years and I know somebody did wrong. Make the DP24SD2 The Hail Mary of Bells & Whistles. Put that good shit back in the machine.

I am grateful for what I have. The little box surpasses, what, $50K of equipment from back in the 1980s?

Having said that, there are things I would like in a machine:
1. Many more effects - mic emulations, pitch correction, maybe internal VST capability.
2. Twenty four channels? How about 24 sliders?
3. Parametric tone controls - knobs for each channel.
4. Ability to write directly to a thumb drive.
5. Tiny interval editing.
6. Driver for external screen.
7. Storage for multiple masters of a song.
8. Automation.
9. Motorized sliders, just because they look so cool!
10. Internal mic for capturing the "quick idea."
11. Better organization of virtual tracks.
12. Ability to attach descriptions to tracks.
13. Assignable track minders - press a button and your usual channel set-up is labeled and illuminated - like an electronic scribble strip.

Just dreaming here...

Matt B

I tend to agree with the gist of your sentiment.

I agree with you most regarding the backtracking on MIDI capability. That one thing was a mistake for sure. Big mistake (IMO, particularly from a marketing standpoint). I disagree with you most regarding your #4. Coming from the Roland VS series (VS840 & VS880EX in my case) - I found the DP-32SD to be incredibly user friendly straight out of the box. Like most - the effects capabilities/applications had me perplexed at first. But this forum (pointing me to the Tipping videos) fixed that quick. But assigning inputs to tracks and getting something down quickly is incredible intuitive, IMO.

Having said all that - and I guess somewhat in defense of Tascam - the incredibly low price point for this particular package of features is still damned impressive to me. There are:

- a ton of tracks with "clean" bouncing - and ample v-tracks!
- some very capable and convincing multi-effects
- sends/returns
- multi-band compression/mastering effects
- auto or manual punch in
- dead quiet SD card storage media

Remarkable that we can get this bang for the buck at the $400-600 price range.

Reactions: Noto
I too have to agree with much of the original post. Loss of capability is the main reason I never "upgraded" to the "SD's". For me, removal of the midi and burner functions was just too much of a loss. My DP 24 and 32 continue to get the job done for me!!

Reactions: -mjk-
Yep, the loss of MIDI is really strange. I think the new Model 24 lacks it as well.

I have a DP24 and use MIDI sync all the time: to sync my MPC Live and/or other synths. It would be far less useful without it: one consistent master across tracks and sessions really helps.

Someone in another thread gave the opinion that MIDI sync is redundant, because you can always use a DAW for this. Well, the real advantage of the DP24 for me is a mouseless and largely tactile interface, with limited options, and a small screen. I work faster and am more focused tracking onto the DP24 than I am using say Reaper. Once I have my multitracks, I export those to the computer to edit and then mix.

This kind of flow does it for me, and a MIDI sync-able hardware multitracker at the front end is really important to me. I'd hope that Tascam would rethink this in the future, as when my DP24 goes south at some stage I'll need to replace it!

I record acoustic instruments using good mics and a quality preamp into my 2488NEO.
Then I transfer them into REAPER for editing.
I love the auto punch ins and using sliders instead of a mouse when I am recording myself.
I'm perfectly happy not using MIDI and I will upgrade when it conks out.

The "dead quiet SD card storage media" sounds tempting for me, I wish I knew if Tascam is working on something new or if I should purchase a DP32SD before they phase it out.

Well, I don't know why external midi sync boxes seem to be ignored. I know they're obsolete but they're not expensive or hard to obtain if you keep your eyes open on eBay etc. I've just picked up 2 different models in the last few months as my interest was re-vitalised after the recent flurry of questions. As others have said, you can always go the DAW route, but if you really want to stay with the hands-on DPnnSD way of working, what's the problem?

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online