Why are stereo busses not playing back in stereo? DM4800

wm_b

Veteran
Gear owned
DM3200, DM4800 and DM24
I am finally digging deeper into my DM4800 as I put together a mobile recording setup. Tonight I was finally bussing things into groups and when I was trying to pan a drum mix across two channels summed into a stereo pair it would only come out mono. No panning. Am I doing something wrong? In this particular example I have a drum mix with kick, snare, and one overhead with two close mic'd toms. I had each source routed to a pair of busses linked into stereo. I wanted to pan the toms a little left and right and try as I might it remained mono. It wasn't until I just selected the left bus of the pair for one and the right bus for the other that I was able to get a stereo effect although it was 100% panning. What's up with this?

I did some research on this. I think the answers are on page 35 of the DM3200 manual. Let us know if this addresses your issue.

Located on preferences menu:

BUSS PAN Follows ST PAN When checked,
and the BUSS PAN mode is ON, this option allows
the stereo pan channel control to control the balance
between the odd and even busses. No effect in surround
mode.

BUSS Link/BUSS PAN are Linked When
checked, this option links the buss panning when a
link is made between two busses.

Thanks for looking into this. I'll see if that works when I get to the studio later today. Hard to believe I've been using these consoles for years and never really used bussing for much of anything.

Just to follow up: The listed fix above seems to have done the trick. The syntax of those settings isn't exactly clear but it works.

Awesome!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.