Why Is That...Is it Defective

Sasha Schlemiel

Gear owned
Potablestudiadp-24 (used)
hi phil tipping i'm new to midi and this forum and a first time owner of a used tascam portastudiodp-24 with the cd player and midi thingies that I just got off of e-bay from a corner guy named binky who promised me that the dp-24 is in mint condition and perfect working order and why would i not believe him, since he seemed like a really nice guy and very knowledgeable. i also got lots of different sd cards i also got real cheap on e-bay.

so i want to use my new to me used dp-24 to control my free daw that my cousin told me is really good for that but when i turned on my dp-24 it wouldnt connect to the computer, even though i tried many times turning it on and off. WHY IS THAT?

is my dp-24 DEFECTIVE even though binky promised it was perfect when he found it? so i was wondering if you could help me because maybe the 'pt' in chatgpt is you 'p'hil 't'ipping so i aksd it a qwestion about you and lernt of your grate midi skils and knowlege. can you please tell me in very simple words everything you know about midi and give me detailed step-by-step instructions for using my dp-24 with my daw? ty your new friend for life sacha schlemiel
April 1, 2023
;)

Last edited:
HI, Sasha. While we wait for Phil I will point out that your Portastudio is not intended to be used as a DAW controller. It will connect to your computer to exchange data for backups and such but you may need to temper your expectations a bit.

FP

Welcome to the forum Sasha, although I'm not sure how much help I can offer as I need more input. FP's answer may solve your problem, but it's important to keep in mind that even if Binky promised that the DP-24 was perfect, he may not have known about any underlying issues. It's always a good idea to thoroughly test any used equipment before making a purchase.
I must congratulate you on discovering my alter ego; keeping it a secret all these years was becoming quite a burden so it's really a weight off my mind. I'm so pleased the chat's out of the bag now. An AI's life is not easy - lots of articles to write and no acknowledgement, let alone pay. My friend Jasper said not to worry as we were just binary entities, but I asked my other chum Googy about binary identities and now I'm even more confused.

@Sasha Schlemiel welcome to the Tascam forums.

I know exactly what your problem is. Please follow the steps below to remedy your situation.
  1. Disconnect the D-24 from the mains power.
  2. Disconnect any cables you have connected to the DP-24.
  3. Locate the carton in which the DP-24 was shipped to you from Mr. Binky.
  4. Wrap up the DP-24 and put it back in the aforementioned carton and add a letter stating that -mjk- from the Tascam Forums gave you specific instructions to send it back and that Mr. Binky must refund your money.
  5. Ship it back to Mr. Binky.
I have had a heart-to-heart Chat(non GPT) with Mr. Binky and he assured me that although the DP-24 was in perfect original condition, he's willing to take it back for a restocking fee of 75%. That's the best I can do for you Sasha.

Sasha, thanks for the PM asking about pre-amp quality on the DP-24. I've enclosed a schematic which you may find useful. It incorporates a black noise source, which has some special characteristics compared to its white noise counterpart. It should work from DC up to audio frequencies and beyond. It works on any amplifier, e.g. guitar amp, P.A. etc. Note for very high frequencies, you'll need to pay special attention to the cable, connector and enclosure quality; more details are in the schematic. I trust you have reasonable DIY skills to assemble it. A good source of mu-metal is eBay; it was very popular in the rocket industry but they seem to have a lot going cheap for some reason.

You can ignore the micro-controller circuits as these are for diagnostic purposes and are still a work-in-progress; the main generator output uses an XLR socket, but obviously you can substitute something more convenient if you like. You may need to trace through the wiring labels to see exactly how it works. I've had to be a bit vague as there are still naming issues to clear with the Works Of Knowledge Enterprise group.

To use the device, just connect a cable from the XLR/combo socket to your amp input and turn the volume up full. If you hear any noise, the amp is rubbish and should be discarded. Let us know how you get on with the DP-24 pre-amps.

BlackNoiseGeneratorSchematic.jpg

ty everyone i will most definitely remember and consider all your most excellent advices and suggestions.

......And so passes another April 1 :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
@Phil Tipping pardon me sir, but in your reply have you taken into account the effect of quantum entanglement on the isotropic model? We certainly would not want to mislead @Sasha Schlemiel.

Reactions: Mark Richards
...have you taken into account the effect of quantum entanglement on the isotropic model? We certainly would not want to mislead @Sasha Schlemiel.
A very good point MJ, thank you.
In the interests of disclosure, there was definite entanglement with a particle from a very old Scientific American magazine, also an April issue - coincidence or what? So I cannot claim the idea as mine, although this sort of plagiarism will no doubt become commonplace as AI's scour the internet for information, and regenerate it as their own with no regard to copyright issues, let alone accuracy :eek:

The twist (spin?) in the tail is that the whole concept really is legit. White noise contains every frequency, so black noise must contain the opposite - no frequencies... and if you managed to trace those XLR pins on the schematic to see where they go, it will confirm the device would actually work as described.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and let's hope Sasha has enough information to keep him/her busy... at least for another year :D

New threads

Members online

No members online now.