Why To Use a Dust Cover on Your DP-24/32s

Old No7

From
Southern Maine
Gear owned
Tascam DP-24SD
I'm not reporting any dust-related issues -- and hope to never do so -- but I am suggesting that all users "should use" dust covers on their expensive audio gear to prevent any future control issues. Why? See the image below...

That's the tray from the Gator Frameworks Heavy-duty Adjustable Media Stand that holds my DP-24SD (and it works really well for that task too). I removed the tray to grind 2 semi-circles into the lower front lip so that I can plug in my headphones and foot pedal without lifting the tray up any.

Note the fine coating of tiny dust particles at the top edge of the tray where my "always covered" (except when in use) DP-24SD sits. We don't have a forced hot air system and I don't consider my studio, or our house for that matter, to be dirty or dusty, but after 18 months, it's easy to see that some dust has accumulated on the top edge of the tray.

Also note the 2 thin rubber pads which are on the tray, those have to be applied when you get it, and I positioned them so they are just inside the bottom "feet" of the DP-24SD -- which then allows the unit to be shifted maybe +/- 1/4" in any direction. I did that so that if someone ever bumps the tray, the Tascam wouldn't go flying off to the side. It's a solid stand and works well with the DP units.

FYI, I always cover my mixer, Alesis SR-16 drum machine and 3 keyboards too -- gotta keep that fine dust from causing any problems.

Old No7

avnHu1z.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Adding another pix I just found from months ago...

This shows my DP-24SD on the above-mentioned stand, so you can see how it fits almost perfectly. And you can see that with the headphones plugged in, the bottom left of the unit was raised up some. As was mentioned above, I just cut the lip of the tray so it sits solidly now.

Old No7

eOGeXgg.jpg

Reactions: Max Relic
Great reminder re. dust covers. My gear is all covered in old towels/tea-towels - not very pretty but does the job. Can also recommend the QuikLok QL-400 stand; bit more expensive than the Gator but it's open at the front & back so no problems with access. The width can be adjusted so it fits snug to the DP machine and the lugs at the front (also adjustable) stop it sliding forwards.

VERY interesting!
Apparently you have a ridiculously clean house...or, southern Maine has a very low airborne dust load.
I live in rural Colorado...and the amount of dust you show building up over 18 months would accumulate in my house in about 10 MINUTES.

So I'm in the same camp as @Phil Tipping - in order to minimize the effect of micro-dust infiltrating the delicate buttons/controls of my gear, I tend to use old towels as covers - like he said: crude, but effective. I just take them outside every few weeks and shake them out.
Besides: to get "real" gear covers for my DP, my mixer, my outboard gear, my 3 Rolands, and all my pedals would be about US$1000.

And I STILL have to do a lot of dusting!!!:evil:

Use a cover for the deck, a real cover, not something that sheds particles.
These are cheap machines with cheap parts. I doubt very much they have old-school fully sealed faders, so I don't take chances with them.
We're lucky to have this gear with such capabilities, just don't have the illusion they are durable.

C.

Unfortunate that Decksaver ceased production on the DP series covers.

Reactions: Stew71
These guys make stuff for all sorts of Tascam gear - & lotsa other makes as well - not to mention covers for sorts of non-audio gear stuff - computers, PRN’s, TVs, yada. Worth checkin’ out.

Interesting how they mention anti-static but none of those covers are fire resistant.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.