Wish List for Next Line of Portastudios

SocProf

Gear owned
DP-24SD
I came across an old thread speculating about whether Tascam would announce a new flagship portastudio at Winter NAMM 2017. Obviously, the answer was no. Ditto for Summer NAMM 2017 and Winter NAMM 2018.

Assuming that they are planning an overhaul some time soon, what if anything do you think needs to change? I would like to see the portastudios use the same preamps as their current usb audio interfaces. It would also be nice if you could record a digital signal (e.g. from the usb output of a guitar multi-effects processor).

Any other requests?

Last edited:
Yes, there were a lot of complaints when the MIDI came out.

Reactions: Dunny
I may be wrong but my gut feeling tells me the Portastudio has been replaced by the Track Factory Project. With the threat of Gibson going Chapter 11, any new significant products from Tascam would be surprising. Sadly, I don’t see much future left for Tascam unless it was sold to someone who could breath new life into it. More importantly, Tascam/TEAC needs new leadership who realize they've abandoned their core market: The semi-pro/pro, project studio user.

Waaaahhhh!!! I want more knobs, sliders, buttons!!!!

Matt B

I may be wrong but my gut feeling tells me the Portastudio has been replaced by the Track Factory Project. With the threat of Gibson going Chapter 11, any new significant products from Tascam would be surprising. Sadly, I don’t see much future left for Tascam unless it was sold to someone who could breath new life into it.

I don't know. Track Factory just looks like a DAW bundle, whereas portastudios are for people who don't like working with DAWs. Plus, it looks like Track Factory was a dud.

As for Tascam's future, it looks like Zoom has made some inroads into their market. So you might be right about that. :(

I also agree that stand alones are probably headed to extinction. It's too bad... the DP24/32 (SD) are really clever, well thought out stand alone platforms.

On the other hand, Tascam is the last company standing when it comes to portastudios. Zoom just released a combo live mixer and recorder (LiveTrak), but it only has 12 tracks. Their R series was designed for use with a DAW, so it was never fully functional. Fostex stopped making portastudios several years ago. So even if the market for portastudios has shrunk, so has the competition.

I'm hoping there will be at least on more generation of portastudios from Tascam.

Fade-in and fade-out features in track edit to apply a fade effect in any point of the tracks between the in and out points.

May be useful the possibility to apply a compressor effect to existing tracks and not only when record something.

I lost a great deal of music a while ago on a desk top computer , since then i have not used one , only dedicated machines Boss Zoom and of course my new Tascam 24 which is perfect , so i will be sticking with that genre for now anyway ,

Mp3 compatability might come in handy though , using and producing, would cut out my desk top for that procedure

Computer experience has become real solid in the last decade. Like any other platform.... backup backup and backup. SD cards have been reported unreliable here many times so I'm not buying the loss of work argument. It all comes down to preference when choosing tools. What I'm suggesting is do a little investigation on the DAW platform if you haven't touched it in a while.

I do miss the CD.
I know people had problems but I wish that I could just mix down to CD.
I hate the damn SD cards.
Of course now that CD's are headed for extinction that won't happen.

As far as Gibson's problems go I remain amazed at the number of videos that suggest that it's troubles stem from the guitar line and suggest how to change the guitar offerings to fix it. People don't get it.
The Gibson's guitar business is solid. It borrowed a crap load of money to by other stuff and it was very bad timing and bad business decisions. They made bets that turned out to be very bad and they are trying to back out of it. If all they did was sell guitars they'd be fine. But they owe millions for stuff that they bought which promptly fell on it's ass and left them holding the loans. And right at that time guitar sales took a dive. For all guitar makers.

Last edited:
Well, I can say for sure that my new 2016 Les Paul Classic gold top is an absolutely *stellar* instrument. Addictingly fun to play... and just gorgeous to look at. And at $1700.00... (I got a great deal through zZounds) it busts the rumor that Gibson is putting out over priced junk these days.

But yeah... I am not going to want to hear that Tascam has been scrapped outright as a brand - should it come to that.:(

I am lucky enough to have Two Gibson Les Pauls ,i love them above all other the other different guitars i have used live and in a studio, they are my passion and if i could i would have a wall of them in my house !! Gibson have made some poor decisions in borrowing money, it seems, but there product for me is First Rate, as for the Tascam or DAW , i have worked with, programmed , all kinds of work related software packages and used computers in the car industry for two many years to mention , but i am enjoying the Stand alone aspect of the Tascam , and more or less can get through most procedures with out having to learn another new software package !

Reactions: David Porter
And there you have it:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gibson-bankruptcy-20180501-story.html

"The restructuring will also allow the instrument business to "unburden" itself of a consumer-electronics unit that Gibson blamed for its financial woes."

"Its Gibson Innovations business, acquired in June 2014 from Koninklijke Philips NV, was the source of its financial woes, according to a court statement from Brian J. Fox, a managing director at Alvarez & Marsal who will serve as the company's chief restructuring officer. Acquired through a leveraged transaction, the business faced significant sales declines due in part to a loss of credit insurance overseas. The unit will be wound down, Gibson said."

Last edited:
Reactions: David Porter
And if they do shed the rest of the holdings and go back to just building guitars they will be fine.
Even with the traditional ups and downs of guitar sales an iconic brand like Gibson will remain viable. Unless they forget where their bread is buttered and go into a lot of other areas where they don't belong.
Classic case of "pride before the fall".

New threads

Members online

No members online now.