Wish List for Next Line of Portastudios

I'd love 24 mono inputs and record 24 tracks at same time. Id like direct outs from each channel. A nice gui with the unit would be nice so I can view waveforms and actually do fast editing especially on the fly as its recording.
More send returns would be nice, I have a lot of rack gear I still enjoy using.
I know the box would be much more expensive, so that probably won't happen. Being able to input 24 and record 24 at a time would be gigantic for capturing live bands.

I want a "T-Bone Burnett" button.

Matt B

OK, I think it’s unlikely they will make a new line of portastudios, but if I had my way, I would love to see a 2010s or even 2020s incarnation of, say, something like the Korg D32XD (a product from an era when musicians were willing to spend $2000 on this kind of product).

Here is my wishlist:

* 48 tracks, 24 faders (the 48 tracks will all be 24 mono/stereo tracks)
* 24-bit instead of 16-bit should be the default
* 16 inputs
* 4 aux sends, all using 24-bit converters and balanced outputs
* S/PDIF or AES digital output—this would allow me to hook up an external digital recorder and quickly make multiple “mix down” takes instead of having to copy my mixdown to my computer between takes (a lot of my songs require a lot of fader moves and channel muting while mixing down). Yes, I could do this with the analog outputs and a DA-3000, and the sound difference would be negligible, but I would feel better doing things that way if there was no “analog hole”.
* Let’s bring back MIDI sync, so I no longer have to use an aux send as a tape sync channel while recording, and so I have better support with 2010s gear
* SDXC UHS-II support up to 512 gigabytes. (The one problem with this is that musicians should not put an entire album on a single SD card; then again, I did my entire last album on a single SD card, being sure to make regular backups of the music)
* While we’re dreaming, let’s have Tascam hire Sean Costello (Valhalla DSP) to implement a reverb for this imaginary DP48SD. Or, even better: have a Spin FV-1 chip in there and have support for Z-DSP cartridges.
* Four band fully parametric EQ
* Built in compressor/limiter on each track

Pretending to spend other people’s money online is a lot of fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: SocProf
I bought a MPC Live a few months back. The hardware interface is great (nice touchscreen) and 90% of the time I use it standalone - brilliant not to be tethered to a computer. However the software interface is there too so you get the best of both. Perhaps the next gen of multitrackers could be designed in that way - fundamentally standalone units, but with the ability to be 'pimped' by optional PC connection.

(My mate has an Akai DPS24. One of the great things about that was the ability to attach a monitor screen and keyboard.)

Put the MIDI capability back in there!

Yep, I can't understand why on earth they took it out. Not being worried about CD capability, I nearly bought a 24SD until I realised it had lost MIDI, then managed to source a DP24 instead. With the amount of standalone sync-able hardware that's out there these days, having the multitrack act as a reliable timing source (or slave) seems a no-brainer.

Also, unless its a case of user error (which is possible!) I'd like to see improved looping behaviour - it's been a while, but last time I tried to set loop points to lock onto bar/beat positions, it didn't work out. I think there was a 'window' either side of the loop points or something similar, so trying to record multiple passes of short phrases with say a guitar was a bit clunky.

I'd like the ability to change the tempo without changing the pitch and the ability to change the pitch without changing the tempo.

Reactions: ac30 kev
Mark, Those features are handy. Currently I export tracks to Reaper, where I can do those things with the standard plug-ins.

Both are handy. I had a drum track which was the right feel, but just too long. I was able to time-compress into a shorter track without changing the drum sounds noticeably.

I had a guitar track from a great take, but recorded a half-step down. I was able to change the pitch but still have it fit into the existing drum track.

Reactions: Mark Richards
My 0.02.

96khz @24bit recording.
A UI/UX and Driver for MAC/PC that mimmicks the unit over the USB, especialy the CRT "Window" - naming files is a nightmare, as are a flock of other things that might be easier handled on a computer.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.