Gear owned
Model 12
My Yamaha CP88 has XLR L/R outputs
What’s the best way to connect to model 12
Which inputs and what kind of cables

ie
XLR - TRS
XLR - mono 1/4 jacks
XLR - XLR what about phantom if that’s on ?

There are also unbalanced 1/4 L/R outs on the keyboard ?

Help much appreciated

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of audio engineering, and to the forum. :)
My Yamaha CP88 has XLR L/R outputs. What’s the best way to connect to model 12.Which inputs and what kind of cables. XLR - XLR what about phantom if that’s on ?

Unless your CP88 is a microphone, it would be in the best interest of your Model 12 to NOT plug it into a microphone input circuit.;)

TRS or TS depends on the length of your cable run, and whether or not you're experiencing RFI or ground loop problems. TRS is balanced; TS is not.

Last edited:
No , it’s a keyboard
Yamaha CP88

it has balanced XLR outs L/R
And 1/4 inch unbalanced L/R

part of the reason for my post is to get some advice on what’s best to do rather than what is best not to do - if you get my drift

I’m just wondering what to use if I want to best quality sound into the model 12 for recording..

So why does the CP88 have balanced XLR outs, unless they have a purpose I can use them for ?

sorry if it’s a basic question but I don’t want to damage anything so as a forum I’m simply trying to learn what the best direction is

Welcome to the forum Charlie.
I would use balanced whenever there's a choice - as Mark said it reduces the chances of picking up interference and/or hum from ground-loop issues which you can get with unbalanced connections.
If you don't have these issues it won't make much difference, but to me, the extra cost of a balanced cable is worth the peace of mind.
I believe the Model 12 has 1/4" balanced line-level inputs, so you'd need XLR to 1/4" TRS cables; 2 cables are needed for stereo. I don't know if the Model 12 has other inputs dedicated to stereo but your manual should show you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
Thank you both
That makes sense
So TRS means the balanced 1/4 inch jack

so if I go out from keyboard into balanced patch bay , then I can use TRS patch cables to root keyboard to either model 12 line inputs or just to monitors if I want the pc out of the loop

assuming the monitors and model 12 are patched in correctly etc

that should work ok ? Do you think
Without causing any issues or is there anytime I need to be aware of ?

Yes that's how I connect my gear. Balanced gear uses XLR-to-TRS or TRS-to-TRS (depending on the device) to the patchbay. A DI box is another option for keyboards but I've never found I needed one.
Not sure where the 'pc' came in? "if I want the pc out of the loop"

I guess I meant switching the model 12 off , so just playing the keyboard to the monitors without the DAW facility.

that’s great Phil, thx very much
I’ll give it a go

...sorry if it’s a basic question but I don’t want to damage anything...
So, you DO want to know what NOT to do. Which is why I wrote:
Unless your CP88 is a microphone, it would be in the best interest of your Model 12 to NOT plug it into a microphone input circuit.
Your keyboard is a high impedance pre-amplified instrument. A microphone is not.
If you get my drift.:):)

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-
I will use XLR - TRS, I’m happy with that.

Just for clarification, from what you are saying do you mean using XLR - XLR is a problem

or if I push the switch to instrument it’s ok to use XLR - XLR ?

I will use XLR - TRS .. but I’m trying to understand more as the all the inputs appear to be the XLR / 1/4 inch combination type which accept either - hence the confusion

In the manual it says turn INST switch on if connecting high impedance but off when connecting instruments/mics - so my keyboard is high impedance - ok

but does this also mean I must also use XLR - TRS , that was really my concern and the reason for the original question

does a XLR - XLR lead potentially damage something even if the instrument switch is on

Especially say if I have the phantom power on , as this is a global setting, is this somehow only active when on AND an XLR input jack is used, or is it cut off if instrument is selected.

and of course what triggered my interest was having XLR outs on the keyboard and wondering if that meant I could use XLR - XLR cables etc etc

Thanks for your time Mark, I think you are right, I do want to know what not to do

@CharlieDenver The issue has nothing to do with the type of connector. It has to do with the signal level. Just because something has an XLR connector on it doesn't mean is puts out microphone level audio. @Mark Richards was trying to help prevent you from making a mistake and putting a line level signal into a microphone input, which could potentially blow the mic pre. Your reply was something less than cordial, if you get my drift.

XLR - XLR what about phantom if that’s on ?

The other reason not to use the XLR input on any console/interface with anything is that is not a microphone, is likely it will be damaged if you accidently apply phantom power to that channel.

does a XLR - XLR lead potentially damage something even if the instrument switch is on

or if I push the switch to instrument it’s ok to use XLR - XLR ?

The instrument switch is for a high-impedance direct connection to something like a guitar, which has a very low output and requires amplification. If you put a line level input on a channel with an instrument switch and then throw the switch, you will most likely wish you hadn't done that. Again, nothing to do with connector type, but rather the signal level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
This is directly from the Model 12 OM (page 17 in the copy I looked at) "Names and Functions of Parts":

MIC/LINE (BAL)/INST input jacks

These analog inputs are XLR/TRS combo jacks.
* XLR (1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)
* TRS (Tip: HOT, Ring: COLD, Sleeve: GND)
* The balanced XLR jacks are for XLR balanced mic input.
Inputs 7/8 and 9/10:
* The TRS jacks are for standard TRS stereo line input...When directly connecting a guitar, bass or other instrument, set the INST switch to on (pushed in).
Inputs 1 - 6
* The TRS jacks are for standard TRS mono line input....When directly connecting a guitar, bass or other instrument, set the INST switch to on (pushed in).

Thus my initial comments to you in post #2, on the assumption you had at least a passing acquaintance with the OM.

Just to be absolutely clear:
Model 12 TRS = Balanced/Stereo 1/4" Jack/Plug = stereo instrument.

Model 12 TS
= Unbalanced/Mono 1/4" Jack/Plug = mono instrument.

Directly Connecting = No pedals, outboard FX gear, etc. in use when engaging the "instrument" switch.

Model 12 XLR
= Balanced Mic XLR ONLY.

I have other things that need my attention now. See y'all down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
That's going to do it for you.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.