2 Really Rookie Questions

bigguy

Gear owned
dp-32 digital portastudio
#1. What happens if I plug an electric/acoustic guitar into anything other than "H"?
#2 I'm getting a slight hum from my DP-32 SD when I plug my Martin D-28, in. When I plug another acoustic in, which has a sound hole pickup, I don't get the hum. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your time and thoughts.

#1. The impedence on input H is matched for direct input of electric guitar and basses. Nothing would be wrong with plugging in to another input but you may not get the best signal to noise ratio by doing that. Try another input and see which you like best.

#2. Could be a lot of things. Are you using the same cord, into the same channel? Trim knob providing a proper signal the recorder and do they register the same for both guitars, i.e., is one guitar pegging the level in the red and the other hardly showing a level? Are the volume knobs of both guitars turned up? If yes, then it's possible that the input or pickups of the D28 are not working correctly.

Finally, why would you not mic the D28? I'm sure you would prefer that to the direct input.

Thank you for your reply. I'm old but not too stubborn to ask questions when I don't know something ... kind folks like you are, thankfully, around to answer our questions. As far as not mic'ing the D-28, right now I'm just playing around with it ... and ... external noise in the house.
Same cord(s) for both guitars, same settings ... I'm going to get my luthier to check out the D-28. Thank you again.
Oh, one thing I notice is the "tuner" does not register on the D-28, but does on the ovation with the sound hole pickup.

New threads

Members online