2488 froze while mastering

jtman

Gear owned
2488 MkII 788
HELP! Hope someone is out there who knows . . . I was just mastering a song on my 2488 MkII - it seemed to record fine and stopped automatically at the out marker at the end of the song. However, it froze at that point. The counter has stopped, but the play and record buttons are still lit. Normally I just hit exit from here and then go to check master, but no buttons work. Even "shut down" has no effect. I'm afraid to just turn it off. Any advice? I don't want to lose the songs I have on here. Is there some kind of escape function or emergency reboot process I don't know about? I doubt I'll hear back from anyone in time, but taking a shot. Thanks.

See my post in the introductions area

Hi from Australia - 2488 Neo cooling prob.
by effstrat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:57 am

I suspect it is the same problem

Effstrat

No, I don't think so, as I wasn't using the CD burner, just doing the pre-master. I ended up just turning the power off (and saying a prayer!), and miraculously nothing was lost and it started back up fine. The only thing I can think of that I did differently when I encountered this freezing problem, was that I had a few aborted attempts while mastering and just kept going back to the beginning and re-recording the pre-master. Normally I just go through to the end of the song and then exit out to check master. Anyone else had this happen? (the manual says it's okay to do this).

We never know for sure what is causing these things but as far as my usage goes the two issues I have had are
(1) the cooling one I mentioned - It doesn't do it with a fan on it and
(2) bad connectors where they lose continuity to things like the hard drive etc.
As a computer tech I see this happening on motherboards a lot especially the budget ones from the era when these 2488's were made.
Much less of late as they are more integrated and maybe the connectors have improved slightly. It still happens with cheap RAM with cheapo metal in the connecting tabs.
Unfortunately to get at the connectors means pulling the case apart which is not for the feint or faint hearted but it is mentioned in other areas of the forum.

Effstrat

New threads

Members online