2488 Potentiometer replacement

SebastianB72

Gear owned
Portastudio 2488
First, I know this is analog forum but I didn’t find a DIY forum for digital equipment. Feel free to move it to proper forum if there is one.

I purchased a 2488 and it seems as if the rotary pot for the monitor level and the slider pot for the stereo level are not functioning. Some signal is getting through but the position of the pot has no effect. I am ruling out logic and settings first but it seems to me as if the knob/slider is not moving the wiper along the resistor. I will test them before removal but just wanted to ask
A: Anyone here replaced these, how bad a job was it?

B: Anyone have a part description/value/size etc for these?

C: Source for parts (Digikey is my go to)
Looks like it’s gonna be a PITA to access them and replace. Gotta love modern electronics!

I have seen these but never had to work on them as they were after my time there. I would look at the block diagram and look for any monitor sub in and way to injcct signal direct into that section then see if they do anything. It might be as simple as a routing to monitor problem.

Reactions: SebastianB72
I'm wondering if a quick fix would be to insert a headphone amp between the outputs and your monitors? Under $50, if it works hey presto, if not youre not out of pocket much....

Reactions: SebastianB72
You can do stuff like that but it just complicates the set up as there are things hooked up that you have to remember about it. The design are usually pretty simple when you get into them to fix something but often times getting into a device may be a major job. I can remember at Moody we took a board out to change a back light in a $21000 Yamaha board and it took two people to remove it and then a good amount of time to get into the device- nothing like changing it in the studio.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.