2488 Record Dry, Hear Effects

deanp

Gear owned
I like to use a little delay and reverb on my guitar, but I want to try recording it dry and adding effects later. Is there a way I can hear the effects in the headphones when I am recording, but still have the track recorded dry?

Thanks
Dean

Hi Dean,
I have a 2488 MKII, but I'm nowhere near my machine right now, so here is what I think will work... When assigning your effects, try assigning them to your mixer channel strip instead of the input. Then you should be able to listen with any effects you want and still print dry.

Last edited:
It seems like it should be easy, but I can't figure it out. The manual even talks about hearing the effects in the monitor and recording dry, but it does not take it further.

When you normally set up your effects, I am supposing you simultaneously press the effects button AND a channel input (A,B,C,D,E,F). This puts the effects on your input signal and will be recorded.
Instead, press a channel select button (1-24) while you press the effect button. Now the effects are inserted AFTER being sent to the hard drive. You'll hear them, but NOT record them.

Try this and see how it goes. Let me know.

Last edited:
Yes, that did it. I use the multi effects for the delay and it recorded dry at the channel and wet at the input.

I use the send and single effect for the reverb and same result. One odd thing when I send the reverb to the input there is no effect. I must send it to the channel to hear the reverb. Seems odd, am I missing something?

Hi Dean,

I don't think you're missing anything. The reverb is coming from sends on all channels. This is created at the channel strip AFTER the signal goes to the hard drive. The 2488 is just wired this way.

Cheers,

Ken

The pleasure is mine!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.