34B rebuild

Evoroadster

From
Oahu
Gear owned
34B
I am in the process of rescuing a 34B which is in poor condition. I really need a parts breakdown manual and have had no luck finding anything online. Any help would be appreciated.

The only problem with those two links is, they are not the complete manuals.

The manuals, when supplied with the decks, contained a complete section with all the parts lists, exploded diagrams, schematic diagrams and PCB layouts.

Ok, as some have stated just about every online seller/provider of this manual only has the operating instructions portion. The service/maintenance, theory of operation, illustrated parts breakdown and schematics are not included. Some of these sellers want upwards of $45 for an incomplete manual. I did however find a primo scan of the complete manual at vintage-electronics.net for only $6. If you are in the Tascam/Teac world you should give this site a looksee!

Thanks for the feedback.

When I need a manual I get the one duplicated by Stereomanuals.com as these are the best over the years. If you can get an original from Tascam that would be good too. As long as it was a printed and not one of the poorly copied ones. Rick at Stereomanuals.com always supplies the best and I have proof by way of 20-30 manuals from him.

Reactions: Laszlo
I looked up a 34B on Hi Fi Engine and the schematics that are scanned at total garbage still- don't these people ever learn?

Hi, if you search for the tascam 32 and 38, you'll find two full service manuals with the exploded views and parts Lists.. the 34 is mostly like the 38 with only 4 channels.. ive just bought a 34 and had the same issue that the schematics are missing from all the online manuals..

I have noticed though the 38 and 32 schematics don't show voltages unlike the teac service manuals.. I'm still in the early stages though.. so I haven't looked too deeply into these long service documents..

bought my 34 in well quite bad condition.. from a guitar players studio.. looks like it's been in a fight.. missing all front pan screws, tension rollers and pinch wheels gone.. surface rust... but the capstan spins and the reel motors turns.. and the vu lights come on.. haha.. so should be all right.. this will take a while to restore.. didn't pay much at all for it..
radar

Yes, there are lots of idiots that will sell parts off a machine maybe to feed their drug habit. The obtaining of tension rollers and roller caps are not all that easy to come by as they are lost all the time. I have a supply here but I don't sell them. I have a retired Polish machinist making me some roller caps but there are about a dozen different types. Most the time the fasteners can be found at some suppliers and I have a lot of stock here. One of the signs that idiots work on stuff is that the wrong or missing screws are in the unit. I see it all too often.
Service manuals I do not have usually come from Stereo Manuals.com. Those that are too cheap to pay for paper manuals like these just are not serious about fixing their decks as the first thing a deck needs to have with it is a good clean service manual. Think about how many guys in the USA can now fix these correctly. There is me, Russ Bachmann in NJ, Tom in Nashville is retired,
Adrian in California only works on selected items and then there Gerhard in Florid one of my trainees. That is it. Now about three of us.
Some might mention this Curt Palme guy in BC but I saw a deck he sold to a fellow in WI and the sine wave came off the tape as a saw tooth wave- about 30% distortion and his levels were not at all correct- some guys talk a good story and turn out a lot of units BUT that does not mean they are doing them right. I would not send a customer to that guy just as I would not to Music Technlogy.

New threads

Members online