4800 and tape machine

Antony

Gear owned
Dm4800 msr16
I want to hook up my tascam msr 16 to my 4800. What would you suggest as the best way to go about this.

Antony.

I prosume the cards bypass the dm pre's

I think Jarno means the analog cards to be used as tape sends for your 16 tracks. Your regular channel inputs then can take care of the tape returns (or ofcourse the analog cards inputs). It's only necessary this way if you want to record 16 tracks at a time; otherwise you can use your analog outs ASN 1-8 as tape sends.

You need 16 analog outs and 16 analog ins. You could use the mic/line ins as returns - but you burn the channels for tracking that way. With 2 IF-AN/DM cards you would have dedicated mixer to tape machine connections, which is why I think Jarmo said "Best way."

The interface cards are balanced +4DBM.The MSR 16 uses the unbalanced -10DBV standard.You would need 16 channels of +4 to -10 and 16 channels of -10 to +4 level converters al la Tacam La-80/81

wkrbee said:
The interface cards are balanced +4DBM.The MSR 16 uses the unbalanced -10DBV standard.You would need 16 channels of +4 to -10 and 16 channels of -10 to +4 level converters al la Tacam La-80/81

So your saying I need 2, la 80 and 2 la 81.

Trying to figure the work flow. So16 live room to 16 tascam analogue card ins, then 16 analogue card outs to la 80in then la 80 out tape machine then to what dm4800 inserts, ok confoosed, where do stick my tape machine and how do I not hit the tascam pres.

I wouldn't worry about the level mismatch. DM's dynamic range (and distortion characteristics) exceeds your MSR's one by dozens of dBs even with level mismatch. So +4dBu vs -10dBV is irrelevant as long as you keep your eyes on your MSR's meters while recording (instead of DM's meters).

Just plug in your MSR to any DM's analog inputs/outputs and you're fine. It doesn't even hurt you to plug your MSR's outputs to DM's preamps. The preamps are far cleaner than the magnetic tape.

As Arjan & Will said, my recommendation of 2 analog cards was about keeping your setup clean: dedicated inputs/outputs for your recorder.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.