A Hybrid Test Mix - DP-24 / Mixbus 6

Discussion in 'Song Mixes: Tracks for review and critique' started by Mark Richards, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Well-Known Member

Southern USA
    Gear:
    DP-24, 40-4 R2R MTR
    I've been playing around with Mixbus 6 for a while now, and would appreciate any comments on a hybrid project I've been experimenting with.

The song was tracked on my DP-24, ported to Mixbus 6 for mixdown on my Dell laptop, and given a final tweak using the Finalizer mastering program.

One of Mixbus' features is the ability to make digital sound like analog. For this test project, I've intentionally made a mix that's a tad on the bright side on my reference system. The mix seems to translate well to home systems and headphones I've tested it on; somewhat less so over computer speakers; and not so much over cheap earbuds.

So I'd appreciate thoughts on how it comes across on your reference systems, as well as any other comments/critiques on the mix quality.

Keep in mind this isn't elevator music, so feel free to play it as loud as you like. :D

Also, I'm not a professional musician or vocalist, so please be kind in that regard.:)

Look forward to all comments, you won't hurt my feelings.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. -mjk-

-mjk- Moderator Staff Member

Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
    Gear:
    DP-32, | 2A Mixer, A3440
    Hi Mark. First impression is - it's very wide. It's bright but I would say "modern bright" and not harsh.
    Mark Richards likes this.
  3. Mark Richards

Southern USA
    Gear:
    DP-24, 40-4 R2R MTR
    You're right, mj. I used a side-mid ratio that was very wide. Easy to fix with a slight alteration of the ratio. Thanks. Will see how it sounds.

Follow-up Edit:
    Reducing the side-mid ratio a tad made the mix more like a "live" performance might sound and also enhanced the bass a bit.

Not sure which I prefer, but lean toward the original because it leaves a nice space in the center for the vocals.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    -mjk- likes this.
  4. -mjk-

-mjk- Moderator Staff Member

Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
    Gear:
    DP-32, | 2A Mixer, A3440
    Oh, I wasn't saying it was too wide, just that it was very wide. I like stereo width. :)
  5. JSchmo_Bass

JSchmo_Bass Member

NJ, USA
    Gear:
    Model 12, DR-40X
    I don’t find the mix too bright.

I’m a bass player so thus hopessly biased in this regard, but my ear and my tappin’ foot wants a littler fatter bass thump on the downbeats.

I think you sing well, and have a cool voice, so maybe a little less effects on the vocal, let the natural quality come out more?

Inspiring.. It would be fun to try this song...
    -mjk- and Mark Richards like this.
  6. Mark Richards

Southern USA
    Gear:
    DP-24, 40-4 R2R MTR
    Thanks for your very kind words, JSchmo. I'll give it another tweak and see how it sounds with your suggestions.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  7. Mark Richards

Southern USA
    Gear:
    DP-24, 40-4 R2R MTR
    Follow-up:
    Slight reduction in sound stage width, slight punch-up of bass (being mindful of effect on playback by various consumer speakers and headphones). Slight re-balance of vocals and vocal FX. This one's the keeper.

Thanks mj and JSchmo. :)
  8. JSchmo_Bass

JSchmo_Bass Member

NJ, USA
    Gear:
    Model 12, DR-40X
    Yes indeed I hear the mix improvements. Much more instrument separation.

Not a mix topic per se but there is a bit of dissonance on guitar/keys chord transitions in a few spots - (“ echoing toNIGHT...”) a glissando effect of sorts that doesn’t make those whole step jumps. A harmonizer that isn’t tracking?
  9. Mark Richards

Southern USA
    Gear:
    DP-24, 40-4 R2R MTR
    I first did a mix/master completely "in the box" using only the DP-24.

I wanted to see if Mixbus6 could improve on that master. Mixbus6 has a big advantage over mixing/mastering completely "in the box" on my DP-24 portastudio because the "Harrison Console" look/feel makes it easy for me to make subtle, targeted tweaks; and it's also much more intuitive for me than other DAWs I've tried.

That's my amateur musicianship peeking out. This song challenged my performance chops, which is why I wanted to give it a try.
  10. Brian Mac V

Brian Mac V New Member

Hi Mark. Yes I do something similar with a couple of nice Channel Strips in Reaper, I've only got an old V3 Mixbus so I dont use it much now. Stick this guy on one of your tracks in Reaper(vst3) or Mixbus(vst), and don't route through the Busses or do!! See what you think!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/loaded-step-by-40299242

It's free, and only in Alpha. I've been using it for a few weeks. Watching the I/O, I like to push the PreAmp until 0VU, or maybe -3., and sometimes even less. Then work my way across - then tweak.

Check out DDMF The Strip too, it's not free. I've found it does some magic when inserted on Mixbus Busses , even in default.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021