A Hybrid Test Mix - DP-24 / Mixbus 6

Mark Richards

Soundaholic
From
Somewhere Near Nashville
Gear owned
DP-24/40-4MTR/M30
I've been playing around with Mixbus 6 for a while now, and would appreciate any comments on a hybrid project I've been experimenting with.

The song was tracked on my DP-24, ported to Mixbus 6 for mixdown on my Dell laptop, and given a final tweak using the Finalizer mastering program.

One of Mixbus' features is the ability to make digital sound like analog. For this test project, I've intentionally made a mix that's a tad on the bright side on my reference system. The mix seems to translate well to home systems and headphones I've tested it on; somewhat less so over computer speakers; and not so much over cheap earbuds.

So I'd appreciate thoughts on how it comes across on your reference systems, as well as any other comments/critiques on the mix quality.

Keep in mind this isn't elevator music, so feel free to play it as loud as you like. :D

Also, I'm not a professional musician or vocalist, so please be kind in that regard.:)

Look forward to all comments, you won't hurt my feelings.

Last edited:
Hi Mark. First impression is - it's very wide. It's bright but I would say "modern bright" and not harsh.

Reactions: Mark Richards
You're right, mj. I used a side-mid ratio that was very wide. Easy to fix with a slight alteration of the ratio. Thanks. Will see how it sounds.

Follow-up Edit:
Reducing the side-mid ratio a tad made the mix more like a "live" performance might sound and also enhanced the bass a bit.

Not sure which I prefer, but lean toward the original because it leaves a nice space in the center for the vocals.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Oh, I wasn't saying it was too wide, just that it was very wide. I like stereo width. :)

I don’t find the mix too bright.

I’m a bass player so thus hopessly biased in this regard, but my ear and my tappin’ foot wants a littler fatter bass thump on the downbeats.

I think you sing well, and have a cool voice, so maybe a little less effects on the vocal, let the natural quality come out more?

Inspiring.. It would be fun to try this song...

Thanks for your very kind words, JSchmo. I'll give it another tweak and see how it sounds with your suggestions.

Last edited:
Follow-up:
Slight reduction in sound stage width, slight punch-up of bass (being mindful of effect on playback by various consumer speakers and headphones). Slight re-balance of vocals and vocal FX. This one's the keeper.

Thanks mj and JSchmo. :)

Last edited:
Yes indeed I hear the mix improvements. Much more instrument separation.

Not a mix topic per se but there is a bit of dissonance on guitar/keys chord transitions in a few spots - (“ echoing toNIGHT...”) a glissando effect of sorts that doesn’t make those whole step jumps. A harmonizer that isn’t tracking?

indeed I hear the mix improvements. Much more instrument separation.
I first did a mix/master completely "in the box" using only the DP-24.

I wanted to see if Mixbus6 could improve on that master. Mixbus6 has a big advantage over mixing/mastering completely "in the box" on my DP-24 portastudio because the "Harrison Console" look/feel makes it easy for me to make subtle, targeted tweaks; and it's also much more intuitive for me than other DAWs I've tried.

...a bit of dissonance on guitar/keys chord transitions in a few spots...a harmonizer that isn’t tracking?
That's my amateur musicianship peeking out. This song challenged my performance chops, which is why I wanted to give it a try.

Last edited:
Hi Mark. Yes I do something similar with a couple of nice Channel Strips in Reaper, I've only got an old V3 Mixbus so I dont use it much now. Stick this guy on one of your tracks in Reaper(vst3) or Mixbus(vst), and don't route through the Busses or do!! See what you think!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/loaded-step-by-40299242

It's free, and only in Alpha. I've been using it for a few weeks. Watching the I/O, I like to push the PreAmp until 0VU, or maybe -3., and sometimes even less. Then work my way across - then tweak.

Check out DDMF The Strip too, it's not free. I've found it does some magic when inserted on Mixbus Busses , even in default.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.