A mastering question

Wayne Tadman

Gear owned
Dp03sd
Mastering on my dp03 I get the levels right when mixing down, add the compressor in mastering mode. Then use the normalise function but on play back both left and right levels peak out.
Is this OK?
No matter how low I drop the levels during mix down this always occurs.
Cheers
Wayne

If the peaks go above 0 dBFS, that is not good.

I never use the normalize function because Mastering is a process whereby you set the final level you want, and normalization changes that. I'd set the ceiling a -1 and use the gain of the compressor to get where you want to be, something like -11 LUFS for streaming, or maybe louder for other things.

Reactions: Wayne Tadman
If the lights are calibrated to come on when the signal reaches 0 dBFS, it's ok if they light up if the normalise function normalises to 0 dBFS - it doesn't mean the signal has gone over 0 dB.
As MJ hints, whether or not you should normalise to 0 dB is another topic.
If the overload lights come on when you are recording, you don't know if the signal is at or over 0 dB so overloads there should be avoided at all costs.
Update: just checked the manual and it seems to be similar to the DP-24/32 in that you must turn off the mastering effects when playing the master file back for reviewing otherwise the effect(s) will be re-applied. This may be causing the signal level to overload.

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-

Update: just checked the manual and it seems to be similar to the DP-24/32 in that you must turn off the mastering effects when playing the master file back for reviewing otherwise the effect(s) will be re-applied. This may be causing the signal level to overload.

My DP-03SD automatically normalises in the mastering process.

No. You have to go into the NORM screen and hit EXEC to start normalizing.
See manual.
My DP-008EX is exactly the same.

According to my manual you have to master the track with comp and eq. Then exec normalise.
This always raises the level of the track so that the level metres top out.
Think I'll leave the normalise alone next time.

I see your point:
According to my manual you have to master the track with comp and eq. Then exec normalise.
Shake off manual slavery. This is not mandatory! You can do either of it. Or all. Or none of it.

If, after mixing down (which creates the master file), you are already happy with your mix: Export and use it. Do you need compression? Apply it. Do you need EQ? Apply it. Is the whole master still very faint in volume? Apply normalization.
But don't do all of this every each time you finished editing (mixing) a record.

And don't forget turning off compression and/or EQ when you rehearse the result. If it is on, the master file will be routed again through the effects before it reaches your ears.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.