AA batteries for the DR-100mk3

Paolo T.

Gear owned
DR-100mk3
Hi All,

I just purchased a DR-100mk3, and am trying to setup it. Unfortunately, the device arrived with the main battery discharged, and with no USB cable or power supply unit; being Christmas, I cannot find a shop where to buy a suitable cable (one with the Micro B plug, I suppose like in cell phone power chargers).

I've therefore tried to use some rechargable Varta NiMH batteries (2500 mA), that I use for powering my Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad. However, despite I'm sure I've installed them correctly in the recorder (by following the image in the manual, and the sticker in the battery compartment cap), they don't seem to be recognized.

The DR first showed both battery packs empty. Then, I was able to change the AA battery type to NiMH, and for a few seconds they were shown full. Then, they were again shown empty, and the device turned off.

Which type of AA batteries are required for this particular device, or this particulat type of devices? The manuals says nothing about this.

Thank you!
Paolo

The batteries were probably fine. Just a little low, after some time not being used. After recharging them, the record could play a file (but it needs more juice to record).

Paolo

Something you should know about is that in one of the setup menus, there's a setting for the type of battery you're using, NiMH or Alkaline. I'm not sure about your recorder, but the factory setting on many battery powered recorders is for alkaline cells. The reason for this is that NiMH cells have a few tenths of a volt lower voltage when fully charged than alkaline cells. If the battery setting is for alkaline, the recorder will think it's dead a little before it really is, and the recorder might shut down a little sooner than you'd expect for a fully charged battery.

Hi Mike (happy to meet you here!), I confirm the DR-100mk3 is factory set for alkaline batteries. However, I could use the little power of the main lithium battery to change it to NiMH cells. Probably, however, my batteries were not fully charged, and were not able to power the recorder.

Very interesting to know the reason you have to choose the battery type.

New threads

Members online