About the model 12, dp24, & dp24-sd

zozoe

Gear owned
388, MR16 1" tape,
Hi all & thank you for accepting my membership, & hope all is well~~
I am an experienced guitar player & recording engineer, have owned everything from the old 4-track Teac Cassette recorder in 1985, to a Tascam 1" 16trk, and then 2-Alesis HD24XRs w/a 32 channel analog board.
I've been off the planet for a few years, & was curious to know what's the latest & great in 12 or 24 track digital recorders? My primary use would be for recording acoustics, dubbing some electric & vocals, so a decent onboard mic pre would be nice. I do NOT own a laptop or desktop, & I know moat don't have a CD burner (like the original DP24 had), but I'd do w/o & get an external burner.
My big questions are about the effects on the Model 12, & DP24 or DP24SD, and if the effects, especially the Reverbs, have decently tweakable common parameters, and are the verbs STEREO? So, what's our there, the pros & cons, size not terribly concerning, but ease of use, yes! I like the tactile, real time knobs of the Model 12, & I've been spoiled by decades in the analogue world, & lack of endless menus.
On the Model 12, the original DP24, & DP24SD, is the EQ pre tracking & gets recorded to tape, er, card, or is it only for touching up your master mix? I've searched out all the manuals & have read many, but not all, of the subtopics & can't seem to find anything.
Thanks so much folks!!
Kenny

Welcome to the Tascam Forums. Regarding the DP machines, the EQ is applicable to both the inputs and the tracks so they can be recorded with/without and also applied to the tracks on playback. The DP FX are stereo but are not as configurable as an outboard unit of course. Please refer to the sticky topic "Definitive Summary Of Effects":

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dp24-32-fx-definitive-summary-of-effects.4162/

The DP machines are standalone workstations. The Model 24, 16 and 12 (in that order) appear to progressively rely on interfacing with a PC but still have functionality on their own. You may want to ask specific questions about the Model series in that forum.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Hope all are well~~ Since I couldn't locate the discussion and for newbies, but first I'm not a newbie, playing gtr 54 yrs, in 1985 had my 1st cassette portactudio, graduated to the Model 388, 1/4" & console in one, then to 1" 16 trk, then finally 2 Alesis HD24XR's & a 32 ch. analogue board, & mixing down to CD, & have worked in a real world studio. I do not have a computer, nor do I plan to,,
I want to do some recording of myself on Acoustic 12 string, dub some mic'd up electrical gtrs., and maybe a vocal. I like the live tactility of the EQ knobs, less menu dependent, and simply mix down from the SD card to an external burner. I'm not selling product, I just want a decent, simply laid out Tascam, BUT looking for an experienced user to let me know if the Model 12, 16, DP24, or DP32, record your EQ settings to SD, and same thing for the Compressor,,,do the settings get recorded to tape (SD)? And the FX, are there some nice, somewhat tweakable Reverb patches, and ARE THEY STEREO? As you can see, my wants are simple, but somewhat specific. I'm really leaning towards the Model 12 or 16,,, so from you users, how does it stack up, or is it in the 'toy' category? Again, never going to be using a PC!!
Many thanks to all of you talented folks, & appreciate your knowledge & opinions.
Be well, Kenny

Last edited:
Thanks, MJK, & what about the compressor, is that recordable when tracking?
Kenny

I only have experience with DP24 SD, but i can tell you that: Model 12 is basically a digital mixer with recording capabilities and very limited editing capability. Model 16 and Model 24 are analog mixers with recording capabilities and limited editing capabilities. DP24 (SD) / DP32 (SD) are as you probably know digital portastudios with quite good editing possibilities. From what I have read the Model 12/16/24 may have higher quality preamps, but I really dont know.

@zozoe The compressor can be applied to the inputs and recorded, yes. Same goes for all the Insert effects.

MJK, does what you say apply to the Model 12 & 16,, recordable Eq & Comp.?
I'm trying to find the correct chat, & I thought I had.
Thanks & be well~
Kenny

Kenny, I have never seen any of those models. I *heard* that the compression is recordable, but really, please don't hold me to that because I have zero experience with them.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.