ADAT out to a Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 3rd Gen

Philipp Fondacaro

Gear owned
Tascam DM 4800
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum, so if I did something wrong, I apologize in advance.

The thing is, I own a Dm4800 for about 10 years, but I had that famous problem with the screen and for almost 5 years I couldn't find a new one. I'm from Brazil and here we have serious problems to find parts for the Tascam's mixers. Finally I could buy one and I started to use the mixer today, but I ran into some problems.
I never got the IF/FW MKII because at the time I bought the mixer it was very expensive and these days it's almost impossible to find it. So I wanted to use the ADAT out of my DM4800 to connect to my ADAT in of the Focusrite interface. I've tried to find something here on the forum on how to connect it, but the one article I found gave some instructions that didn't work out for me. I was wondering if you could help me with the routing. I have the channels 1-8 on my DM set to M/L on the Input screen. On the output screen I set the Output Select to ADAT 1-8, in the Terminal Select I set to ADAT and in the source select I set to ALL but I can't get a signal on my computer.
The clock is 48k and the sync light is green but it isn't working. Can I please get some help with that?

Thanks in advance
Philipp

Reactions: mixerizer
I've got my DM4800 set up in a similar way with an EVO16. On the ADAT output section you should have the outputs set to M/L 1 thru M/L 8. If you have them set to ADAT Trk 1 thru ADAT Trk 8, the DM will be looking at what's coming in the ADAT inputs instead of the ML inputs. Attached a photo of the correct setup for my system. You should be able to see the ADAT audio tracks from the DM in your Focusrite app on the computer. I would make sure that is happening before worrying about the audio getting to the DAW; if the audio is getting to the Focusrite, then it's a Focusrite routing issue, not the DM. I've seen similar problems if the clock is not set up right. What works best in my system is setting the DM as the master and slaving the interface to clock coming in from the ADAT input.

Attachments

• IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks a lot, friend. I appreciate your help. I did that and it worked like a charm!

Now my next battle is with the display. I had to buy a display on Ali Express because I didn't find anywhere else. They sold me as a perfect replacement for the original display. I received it this week and the size is different, the flat came welded to the board, the A/C connector is different. I had to make a lot of adjustments to be able to turn it on... To my "surprise" it isn't working the way it supposed to work... And I don't know where I can find a great display. This mixer was a blessing backing in the day, but these days it is more like a White Elephant. If someone knows where to find a great display with a reasonable price... Please, tell me!

I'm an amateur - am at DP-32 level, but have never attained DM4800 status. But I read the posts.
Sorry if this is after the fact (you've already bought a replacement display) - but it sounds like quite a few people have had great success with the external-monitor adapter (search the forum for "seemy", as in now i can see my monitor!).
There was a fellow in the UK who made them for the 2488-series MTR's (I've had all three)...is now retired...but I'd give a kidney for one of his (HGR2488)!

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online

No members online now.