Adding effects while recording

geeman99

Gear owned
DP-24
I am struggling with send effects. (And I've read everything about effects in manual several times). After much experimentation, the only way I can get effects to work is by turning up "Return" knob in effects display, but that only puts the effect on the stereo bus...which doesn't really let me adjust the level of that signal, except in a backwards way...by adjusting the track levels to be louder or softer than stereo bus. I've tried using cable to route output of send effect 1 to an empty channel, but doesn't seem to work (gives me duplicate channel, but neither channel includes any effects). It took me a while to find ALL the on/off controls for the send effects within the mixer screen - but no combination seems to work.

(note: what I'm trying to do is create 2 channels during recording of vocal track - one clean and the other with reverb so I can mix them together during mixdown/mastering.)

Germane controls in mixer found:

- off, pre, post (tried pre and post, but not sure I understand difference).
- send1 level 0-127 - master level 0-127 (tried turning these all the way up).
- "insert on" tried on each channel: one with microphone and 1 that sends effect is cabled to...both on, and one or the other on

And in Effects - turned on effects...on channel with microphone and 1 that sends effect is cabled to...both on, and one or the other on

No matter what I do - I only get effects if I turn up "Return" knob in effects screen...but it only goes to stereo bus (and I did not manually make any stereo bus assignments).

Help!

I am so disappointed in this recorder, to complicated, all I wanted to do was add some effects to my final mixes, no way it does not work. I have read the manual too many times already, so I get frustrated and step away from it for a few weeks and return to the frustration.

I regret completely selling my 16 track tape recorder.

I now spend all my time performing what should be simple functions instead completing my music.

When you figure it out please put it in English for me.

Thanks
Gary

well - I was asking for help...not looking for someone to complain about their recorder. Was looking for someone who knew what they were doing - who could tell me how. I've spent over a hundred hours trying to figure out how to add effects, with no luck.

Still looking for help!

Yep, I see my response rubbed you the wrong way, my point was you were not alone, but really your are now.

If I am right you are trying to record one track of vocals and duplicate this but adding some reverb to the duplicate track. I am going to assume you are using a 2488 as you dont actually say what recorder you are using. Will also assume you are using the internal effects loop.

Easiest way to do this is record your vox track. Bounce this tack to a new track but add the reverb.

eg: record vox to track one (dry) now add some reverb to track one using the effects loop. Once you have the sound you want, bounce track one to track two. This will prnt the reverb to the vocal track. Now switch off the reverb on track one and you'll have your dry vocal on track one & a duplicate version but with reverb on track two.

If this helps then cool. If you're using an external FX then let me know.

Zeek

Just seen your gear list. My option will work on the DP as well.

Zeek

This dang effect crap is ridiculous and so confusing.. Geeez why can you just apply it adjust what ya want and get on with the program...All this bounce crap is so stupid!

note: what I'm trying to do is create 2 channels during recording of vocal track - one clean and the other with reverb so I can mix them together during mixdown/mastering.). All you have to do is record the one vocal track clean, clone that track to another open track of (1 to 8); now used the clone track for reverb and any effects. You can now mix the the clean track and reverb track to the sound/mix you seek.

Dennis, an alternative, but not necessarily any "better" way of accomplishing what you are trying to do: what I've done is record 2 vox tracks at the same time (obviously, 2 mics) and apply reverb to one of those tracks. At mixdown, I blend them as appropriate (conversely, I generally SAVE the "clean" track for re-mix or changes at a later stage). All this really does is eliminate the "bounce" part of the equation...Best of luck!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.