Akai MPC's got an update and the Model 12 plays nicely with them

Logrinn

Veteran
From
Southern Sweden
Gear owned
Model 12
I have an Akai MPC Live which is a sampler, drum machine, sequencer, synth and somewhat of a studio hub really.
The latest update brings expanded IO connectivity and the video example from AKAI (using the MPC One) uses a Tascam Model 12 (something I also have) to showcase this.

So, all in all, it looks like I have even more options to make music now :)

Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-
Thank you for posting this! Although not a Model 12 video per se, the question is: should this video be added in the list of informational videos about the Model 12?

Thoughts, everyone?

I wasn’t sure myself, hence it’s own thread.
Please feel free to move it as is deemed appropriate.

I've also got an MPC Live (first gen) and have ordered a Model 12 to run with it & expand the IO.

I'm also attracted to the MTR here as well though (I have a first gen DP24 which is a great machine; I've had it running with the MPC via MIDI clock but it's a bit of a clunky arrangement).

Are the Model XX's as picky about SD cards as the DP series? I have 3 boxed/new SanDisk Extreme PRO SDHC UHS-I 32GB cards (these work well with the DP24) - this particular card isn't on the approved list for the Model 12, but it's pretty close!

This is a useful video. He does speak about being unable to sync the Model 12/MPC, but I think he's missing that the Model 12 will act as a sync master.

Unfortunately though, the MPCs will not record audio when in slave mode. My imagined but as-yet untested workaround, when it comes to recording audio stems from the MPC to the Model 12 would be: (1) set timing internally on the MPC (ie not in slave mode) and do your recordings (loops, etc etc) and arrange your sequences/song. (Audio can still be routed in/out via the Model 12 if desired)

(2) Consider leaving a bar or two empty at the very start, to allow later MIDI sync time to lock in.

(3) Set Model 12 BPM to the same as the MPC and have the Model 12 send sync (clock or MTC)

(4) Set Model 12 to record, and trigger playback on the MPC (given that you will be triggering 'record' on the Model 12, you might have to hit overdub/record on the MPC to take it out of record mode and leave it in playback. And/or silence the metronome, or route it somewhere it won't be recorded!)

(5) You should now have a sync'd recording on the Model 12, give or take a few ms latency (and hopefully without too much 'timing drift' - as I say, this is untested as yet!)

The advantage of having this is that any subsequent recordings can be sync'd to the Model 12 if needs be, whether or not the MPC is involved.

Reactions: zzddee

New threads

Members online