Analog out level drop?

nightspirit

From
Stavanger, Norway
Gear owned
Tascam DM 3200
Hi
I lately have been trying to mix in a more hybrid way than just in the box...
It works fine, but my levels comming out of cubase (say they are at -5db) and are at -5 db on my mixer ch..
now if i send that out (can be via the 4 assignable outs on the board or via tdif/adat to external unit) the level (or volume) vil drop down by -8 (I think it was) so it will hit whatever unit at - 12/13 db.
I even routed just from out to line in on desk and the same drop.

Does any body know why this is?

What i have been doing now, is to compansate by putting the input gain to about 9oclock, but i dont hit my outborad gear the way I want especially if I an going to reamp...

Thanks Dan

Hi Dan,

I have been having the same problem as well. Assignable sends 1, 2, and 4 drop about -8dB when I send to my mix bus hardware or other outboard gear. Assignable 3 drops about -12dB but I believe it has a separate issue.

It caused a problem for me when I was trying to calibrate a hardware compressor. the calibration called for a 0dB 1Khz sine wave to be input to the compressor, and I could not get my assignable outs to put out a 0dB signal, despite a 0dB signal being sent from Logic/FW or the onboard oscillator

Where you able to find a solution to this, dan? Or can anyone chime in with a solution? Would really appreciate some help on this one.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the input, that is an interesting suggestion.

It was my understanding that the Assignable outputs are balanced, then they are going to a balanced patch bay, and through an Avalon 747SP, which is also balanced. If

However, I have been told that the Assignable's are 'Pseudo-Balanced,' which may be contributing to the problem... I will consider this while I am troubleshooting the issue.

Any other suggestions would be welcome

Austin

That's a great suggestion, thanks. I will pull and test my cables / other parts of the chain when I get a chance to.

Thanks

I haven't had a chance to check the cables yet, but I had an interesting thought. Could a grounding fault in the building wiring cause the issue?

I recently moved into a new building, and I've been getting a grounding fault error on my power bars. Is it possible that this could cause an issue with the balancing/unbalancing process?

*Update - I tried connecting to DM to a grounded outlet, but it did not fix the problem. I also bypassed all gear and used a tested TRS cable to jump directly from Assignable send 1 to Assignable return 1. The input to the channel was Zero dB, the return signal came back right around -10dB.

I can send a test-tone to the DM at Zero dB, and send back to the DAW and it comes back at Zero dB. but at the routing/insert page, I can turn on/off ASN SND 1&2 and watch the levels drop consistently by -10dB, even when there is no gear in the chain, just a TRS direct from ASN Send 1 to ASN Return 1..

I'm starting to wonder if there is a DAC or ADC that drives the Assignable's and the part could be failing.*

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.