Analogue input level control wanted

Kiss principle

Gear owned
dr 05
Hello :) I am recording vinyl into my DR 05 and getting EXCELLENT results. The only issue I have is some vinyl is recorded 'hotter' then others.

When I am recording some hot vinyl even with everything set to zero the signal is s strong it can clip/distort the recording, my question is.

i prefer not to use the peak, limiter or auto settings on my DR-05, I have tried them and find the dynamics of the original recording can be affected.

Is there a tascam field recorder that has analogue input level control, so on hot recording i can reduce the signal a little, not merely to zero but maybe negative 1 or 2 db ??

any help appreciated.

I have a DR-40 and a DR-44WL. Both have a record level control that appears to act on the analog input stage so that when you adjust the level to keep the meters below full scale, there is no clipping.

I have a Zoom H2 (my first handheld recorder) which has the problem that you seem to be having. With a sufficiently high level at the input, you can adjust the level so that the meters stay on scale, but the input stage is clipping, so you get a clean recording of a clipped signal. ;)

There are fixed attenutators that you can put in line with the cable going between your recorder and the source that will drop your input level to the range that you won't clip the front end. Here's one that provides 12 dB of attenuation which is more than you're looking for but will do the job with no fuss:

https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Line-Level-Attenuator/dp/B0006N41B0

thanks ^ i installed some Rothwell negative 20DB source attenuators 48 hours ago = problem solved :) and i have a dr 22wl in the mail on the way to me ...

I guess I was two days too late with the reply. I don't get around here very often, but when I saw your post with no replies, I thought I'd give you a lead if you hadn't already found the answer yourself.

only pulled the trigger on the wl22 last night because i got $100 for xmas and cant thin of anything else i want :) and apparently it has new A-D D-A converters / layout ? i will compare it to my dr 05 and see which sounds better in my application, ill be glad to have first hand experience as i intend to continue recording my friends amazing vinyl. the attenuators I'm sure will be used on and off over the next 20 if i don't die first,

I'm always glad for help, thanks again ...

New threads

Members online