Anyone using High Sierra with DM3200

Jerome Williams

Veteran
Gear owned
DM3200
I have a DM3200 that I purchased used that had a bad audio card. I didn't know it at the time of purchased but I knew there was no signal passing through.
However, I was using it through the usb port and midi out with a Mac (El Capitan).
It was functioning perfectly with Protools 12 and Logic ProX. I decided to take it to the Tascam dealer who informed me that it had a bad audio card. (I'm not using firewire yet.) So I had it replaced.
While it was at the shop, I upgraded my Mac to High Sierra. I got the mixer back and now the computer doesn't reconize the mixer. I'm using the same cords, same set. Not even the usb port. Can you help please? I started projects before it went into the shop and now I'm stuck. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Stay safe, God bless you.

@Jerome Williams I'm not even sure where to start to be honest with you. Well, I guess that the best place to start would be to say that I have used both the 3200 and the 4800 with a Mac Book Pro running High Sierra and Logic Pro X. Now, I know that this is probably of no consolation to you. And, I understand that you must be very frustrated. I am not quite sure what it is that you were accomplishing with the USB / midi connection that you mention in your post.

As far as I know the USB port is normally used with the DM's remote layer. Rae you not using the Fire Wire connection to and from your PC?

When you say "Doesn't recognize the mixer" do you mean when you run TMC Companion.

Last edited:
Thank you for getting back to me. I figured it out. It was a bad USB input. I have a multi input USB port and one is apparently bad.

I have a FireWire card that someone gave me that is he said doesn’t work. I will try it and see if I can get it repaired. I’m sure it’s cheaper than buying new

@Jerome Williams Glad you got the USB-issue sorted. However, if the FireWire card turns out to be fried - your only options are to indeed get it repaired, or get another used, since they are no longer made.. (and the used ones are scarce, so not exactly cheap either..)

Reactions: Jerome Williams
I know they’re hard to an expensive. At the moment I’m using 2 different interfaces. If I can’t get it fixed or have the funds, I will continue with this set up. I might keep on for the sake of using my keyboard controller anyway. It’s midi and the interfaces have midi

Reactions: Arjan P
Hello Arjan,
I know if I read through the manual I can find it. Can you tell me how do I see the FireWire card on the Tascam and if the computer reconizes it ? I've installed and put in a FireWire cord...all before tuning on the computer or Tascam

AFAIK you need to install a driver for the IFFW-DM to be recognized by the OS, but I have zero Mac knowledge..

On the mixer, you should go to the 'Digital' page and then select the 'SLOT' tab. There it should show the Card status and 1394 locked status, with number of channels in use and firmware info.

Also, keep in mind, there is a Safety Boot Feature for the IFFW-DM mkII card. It's described in the IFFW manual. Before you send it for repair, try that first.

Reactions: Peter Batah
I finally got the DM back, card installed and a driver. Going to the digital slot, it say no cable. When I open the FireWire app/driver, it says not connected. Would that mean the card is bad? It never said”locked”

It could mean three things. Bad driver, cable or card. Remember never to plugin firewire cable while the equipment is turned on. I burned by accident two firewire cards that way. The firewirecard is very fragile. Do you see the firewirecard in system preferences on the audio tab ? What version of the driver are you using, and still High Sierra as OS ?

@Olietyven
Yes, High Sierra. In system preference/audio( sound on Mac), it's not there. The driver version says 1.30f10 (188754). I tried the same FireWire cable that was hooked up prior to trying the Tascam that works fine with everything else. It’s probably the card. The guy who gave it to me told me it might have a bad chip. I will let you know what driver version it is. I see you were sending one out for repair. Did that ever happen?

Last edited:
I tried to find the invoice, but don't have it anymore. I believe i paid about 150 - 200€ for the repair.

I sent them an email. Waiting to hear from them. Have you heard of Mixbus DAW?
Do you know anyone using it with the Tascams?

I have read about it, but that's it. I use Logic X.
Think that most Tascam users use Cubase, Logic, and Protools, because of the DAW control.
There are others out there like Mixbus, but guess you have to ask around or try it out.

I use Logic and ProTools. I just wanted to give it a try. It will use all the 3rd party plugins. I have not figured out how to use it yet but for $79, I will give it a try

New threads

Members online

No members online now.