ASIO Drivers are adding up?

HiFiDavid

Gear owned
Tascam DM-3200
I've got a Windows 10, FW setup running Cubase 11. Running great with the classic drivers.

Over the years, I've seen a lot of ASIO drivers out there. Steinberg has one, FL, Yamaha, etc. Of course, the one I'm using is what I got a few years back in the beta drivers pak for the Tascam FW card.

So it has been awhile, but does anyone have any thoughts on ASIO drivers to use? (or not use) in this situation? Over the years, has there been any ASIO drivers that work better then the stock FW ASIO driver either for Cubase or whatever?

Let me know your thoughts!

I don't see how any other driver could be better than the one supplied by the maker of the interface - even though it's years old. Plus: if it ain't broke, etc..

In my setup however, the only software using the IFFW (and its driver) is music software, so Cubase and Wavelab mostly. Even at the same time, which is also a reason to stop looking for any other driver. I do my Cubase mixes partly in the DAW and partly through the DM, sending out max 30 channels. Wavelab uses channels 31-32 I/O, so during mixdown, Wavelab records while Cubase is playing.

Everything else in Windows uses my W10 default 'sound card', which is an onboard S/PDIF output (going into the DM).

Reactions: -mjk-
You have the exact same setup as I have, except my W10 is a USB interface going into the DM DIF port. So yes, the Tascam ASIO drivers are working fine. Just a little "long in the tooth", like me.
So anyway I'm interested in any testing on "so called" high-performance ASIO drivers that may support the setup, and may work better. Not that the Tascam is bad, just that there is no more development on it that I can see.
I love the board though and have not found anything better!

I have not heard about those 'high performance' drivers, so unless a volunteer wants to give it a shot nothing will happen on that front, since the mixers have been discontinued.

OTOH, what higher perfomance could we have above what we already do? 32 channels in and out @96 kHz 24bit running smoothly - I don't see what could be improved..

@Arjan P Couldn't have said better myself but thought that I'd add my two cents if you don't mind?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But, if it is, don't go broke fixing it.

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
Yes..totally agree! I've got it 96kH as well and 32 channels i/o. I've looked and there is no mixer board that can come close.

I even bought a 2nd one super cheap for parts (so I don't go broke fixing it!)

I've just did the Cubase 11 upgrade though and it came with yet another ASIO driver.

If I get some time to do some tests for fun over the holidays I'll post it here.

New threads

Members online