2pasta

From
Central Indiana
Website
www.walnutcreekproductions.com
Gear owned
DM-3200 Console
Hey all

I have recently moved away from my old reliable Digi 002 control surface to a DM-3200. I have successfully interfaced via USB and Firewire to my MacPro. The transport works....but I'm yet to figure out how the audio routing works so I can get audio out of the console!

With all the routing functionality of the DM series, I have to believe there is some tutorials or documentation that specifically speaks to that in Pro Tools. Can anyone help?

Thx in Advance

Nick

hi, 2pasta:
1.- Go to the Routing>Output Slot screen.
Use Pod 3 knob to set to Slot 1 1-8, and use Pod 4 to set Source Select to Buss/Direct.
Set Outs 1-8 to Buss/Direct 1-8 in order using the arrow keys, data wheel and enter button.
Do that same thing for 9-16 and 17-24.

2.-Go to Routing>Input
On the DM3200, it’s suggested to start with FW/Slot returns at channel 25 and up.
Use the Pod 3 knob to set Layer Select to Ch.17-32.
Use the Pod 4 knob to set Source Select to Slot 1.
Use the arrow keys, data wheel and enter button to set INP Ch25 to Slot 1-1 and INP Ch26 to Slot 1-2.

3.-Route your input channels to the Direct outputs.
To the right of the Stereo fader on the board press the Layer Status button for Ch.1-24.
Press the SEL button above your input channel on the board to select that channel.
To the left of the screen, press the Direct button in the Output Assign section, and disable any other assignments in that area.
4.- Route the Slot return channels to the Stereo output
To the right of the Stereo fader on the board press the Layer Status button for Ch.25-48.
Press the SEL button above Ch.25.
To the left of the screen, press the Stereo button in the Output Assign section, and disable any other assignments in that area.
Turn the fader on that channel up to 0db and pan it left.
Do the same things for Ch.26, but pan it right.

luck!

After you've gotten all the routing steps in the DM completed, you'll find connecting inputs and outputs in PT9 very easy and fast.

Simply click on the Output or Input tabs on selected PT tracks, and a menu of options will appear. The slots currently dedicated will appear in a different color. Select an available option - say Output 5 (equalling Channel 5 on the FireWire card), click it and it's done.

One of the main reasons I switched to PT9 (then 10) last year was because the routing workflow with the DM was so logical. My previous DAW wasn't nearly as user friendly in this way.

CaptDan

captdan said:
One of the main reasons I switched to PT9 (then 10) last year was because the routing workflow with the DM was so logical. My previous DAW wasn't nearly as user friendly in this way.

CaptDan

Capt, out of curiosity, what was your previous DAW and what is it about PT that makes the DM3200 workflow better when compared to other DAW programs? I currently use Cubase 6.5.3 and it does what I need but I am always open to other options (depending how affordable they are).

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I was using Cubase SX-3. Actually, I still use it for some things, and although it's likely not as robust as the current flavor, it's got many good features.

However, the thing that drove me nuts about it were the convoluted steps required to connect tracks' inputs & outputs to the DM. I hated the icons, submenus, track inspectors, etc etc. PT9/10, though, is a simple mouseclick - routing maneuver. Plus, each and every track - audio and midi - clearly displays the inputs and outputs without need to dig for them through the 'magnifying glass' of 'Sherlock Holmes.' :)

Although there are other things I like about PT - and a few that I don't - this one aspect has been well worth the jump. Afterall, the DM3200 is my platform; if the DAW doesn't play well with it, I'm looking elsewhere.

My opinion, and YMMV.

CaptDan

Thx All

I was able to get thru to a CS Rep at Tascam anh he sent me the enclosed ".tpi" file. Off to Fryes to get a Compact Flash card for storage! Hope this can help the next guy.

2pasta

Attachments

• DM3200 Pro Tools .zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 61
Here is an older document to setup the DM4800/DM3200 with Protools...

The TPI file is great and all... But if you use that and a client is in and your timecode gets knocked out you GOTTA KNOW how to configure the console and how to TROUBLESHOOT.... So use the TPI to access if it all works.. But allso DO IT YOURSELF... Because there will be a time when you are doing a paid gig and you will run into trouble... Then you gotta swim... And if you can't because daddy allways carried you YOU WILL DROWN... (No kiddin)..

Attachments

• DM3200_4800_PRO_TOOLS_DOCUMENTATION.pdf
    326.8 KB · Views: 53
Hi,

I posted instructions on how to do this on the old version of this site, gearslutz and the DUC.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end- ... -work.html

I am running a DM-3200 into ProTools 9.

The .pdf from the Tascam site didn't work at all, but I got it working 100% and I wanted to share.

It is very simple, but I spent a long time figuring it out due to the mix/match of devices you need to do. Had I not had the DM-3200 working with DP I would have never figured it out.

Yes - this also enables Transport Control

1- In Audio MIDI Setup create:

- Mackie Control (drag to DM-3200 5 Send/Receive ports)

- Mackie Control (drag to DM-3200 6 Send/Receive ports)

2- On DM-3200 go to Machine Control List :

Add 'HUI Emulate'

MAKE SURE TRA BOX IS CHECKED

3- In ProTools go to SETUP/PERIPHRIALS:

TYPE: HUI

RECEIVE FROM: MACKIE CONTROL

SEND TO: MACKIE CONTROL

# CHANNELS: 8

TYPE: HUI

RECEIVE FROM: MACKIE EXP

SEND TO: MACKIE EXP

# CHANNELS: 8

Here's a diagram I've posted on the old forum. It's sort of a short reference for routing in the DM. Maybe useful for others?

Grtz
Frans

Attachments

• DM Basic routing 2.jpg
    DM Basic routing 2.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 111

New threads

Members online