Basic sythn compatable

Skyler

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24SD
I just ordered my DP 24SD portastudio and I'm trying to find something that will give me the flexibility of faking different instruments for recording i.e. drums, bass, etc.
Everywhere I look is Midi to USB. From what I've read so far, the DP doesn't support midi, which is fine, I don't want to work on a computer when mixing.

With that being said, what's my best option short of buying a full size synthesizer??? Any help would be great.

Hi @Skyler and welcome to the Tascam Forums.

I'm trying to find something that will give me the flexibility of faking different instruments for recording i.e. drums, bass, etc.

That is a complicated statement. The answer depends upon whether you want to emulate sounds, or have a machine play the parts. For example, if you're going to do drum tracks, you have to play them on something, or have some kind of machine play them. That's going to be a drum machine of some kind, hardware or software.

Unfortunately, the most versatile instrument emulations are computer based. But, there are some good synthesizers that can do very good emulations, or even have sampled sounds. You're just going to have to dig around and see what's available. There may be some good used synths in your area.

I guess I thought I'd be able to play on the synth itself right into the input on the mixer. I have a cheapo synth that has "drums" and other emulated sounds, but I'm not sure if that will work or sound like garbage.

All roads are pointing to getting a midi controller, I'm just worried about the specs on how the files are saved. The import/export specs are pretty specific on the DP24. Seems like a lot more technical and could interfere with the having fun part.

Skyler, you can plug into a DP-24SD any high impedance instruments or gear that use balanced or unbalanced 1/4" phone plug cables, e.g. a Beatbuddy drum machine, a guitar, keyboards.

The USB port on the DP-24SD only transfers files to/from a computer. It can't be used as a USB interface.

You could use a D.A.W. to record; export the recording as a stereo or mono WAV file; and use the DP-24SD USB/Audio Depot function to import the WAV file to the DP-24SD. WAV files used this way can be 16/44.1; 16/48; 24/44.1; 24/48 but must match the bit size and sampling frequency of the song you create on the DP-24SD (i.e. if the DP-24SD song is created at 16/44.1, then only 16/44.1 WAV files can be imported).

Reactions: -mjk-
I guess I thought I'd be able to play on the synth itself right into the input on the mixer.

Yes of course you can record anything you like on the input (see Mark's post above). You specifically said "faking" and that implies something different, such as emulation and perhaps programmability.

I have a cheapo synth that has "drums" and other emulated sounds, but I'm not sure if that will work or sound like garbage.

By all means, give it a try. How it sounds is entirely up to you and how you engineer your recordings. That's the fun part.

All roads are pointing to getting a midi controller, I'm just worried about the specs on how the files are saved. The import/export specs are pretty specific on the DP24. Seems like a lot more technical and could interfere with the having fun part.

MIDI files have nothing to do with the DP-24SD audio files. There is no compatibility with the DP-24SD. The DP-24 (with MIDI) will do MIDI I/O but again, that's nothing to do with the file system of the DP machine, or imported/exported files on the DP machine. There is something to be said about just having fun with the machine and seeing what happens when you dive into it.

Reactions: Mark Richards

New threads

Members online

No members online now.