Been away

hey BikerDude, great job

a fellow Tascam taper from the 80s.

my only 'criticism' is that I can't hear the bass well enough....hehe

Reactions: skier
Welcome back @BikerDude! Nice to hear another great track from you!

Cool tune @BikerDude! I especially like the little guitar tastees strewn about the song.

Reactions: -mjk-
hey BikerDude, great job

a fellow Tascam taper from the 80s.

my only 'criticism' is that I can't hear the bass well enough....hehe
That's funny.
My first mix down had too much bass.
I backed it off.
I'll remix it at some point.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Reactions: -mjk-
I am new here and have been using the DP 32 for a year. I like how you said "Recorded mixed and mastered 100% on the DP32. No software."

I am trying to do that with my music as well.

I have a question for you. How did you fade out at the end with only the DP32?

@Bruce C by using the Stereo fader in Mixdown mode.

That's funny.
My first mix down had too much bass.
I backed it off.
I'll remix it at some point.

Thanks for the kind comments.

FWIW, on my small Bose computer speakers, the bass also seems light, but these speakers will not reproduce deep base. However, because most commercial songs do provide enough base to sound right them, I suspect that the base in the 150 - 250 Hz range could use a little boost. And if it sounds too bassy on your studio monitors, check to see if they or the room are peaking in that range of frequencies which would make them artificially sound too hot as you experienced. Getting a system/room combination that's as level as possible in the bass range is not an easy task, yet can make it hard for us to adjust the EQ properly in the bass frequencies.

BTW, I listened to the song again and still really like the tune and those guitar tasties!

Reactions: BikerDude
I am new here and have been using the DP 32 for a year. I like how you said "Recorded mixed and mastered 100% on the DP32. No software."

I am trying to do that with my music as well.

I have a question for you. How did you fade out at the end with only the DP32?

I didn't do anything fancy.
During mix down I manually slid the fader down at the end as suggested.

I'm doing pretty much all monitoring and mixing using headphones. I know that has limitations.

Also with the bass I'm going direct into the mixing board.
So the bass sound may lack a bit of dynamics.
I don't really have a bass amp.
As I understand it, bass straight into the board is not uncommon but I'm sure mic'ing an amp would be better.
It is with guitar for sure.

As I understand it, bass straight into the board is not uncommon but I'm sure mic'ing an amp would be better.

I do both and record each to its own track. The direct-in bass is very clean - sometimes too clean. So I mix in a little of the mic'd bass cabinet sound to taste and generally like that best. However, when I find myself with only a direct-in bass track, I'll add a little grunge with a plug-in, such as a tape simulator. Again, adjust to taste and EQ to taste; I've found you can often get a sound close to mixing the two aforementioned tracks, and even the sound you hear when playing live (which is sometimes great and at other times, not so much). I almost always like the energy of a live performance best, but the sound of the studio is usually better because you have complete control. These are some of the ways I get closer to the sound I want - the sound in my head.

As for "Voices out of time", try adding a little more in the 150 - 250 Hz range, write the song to thumb drive or CD, and then play it on other systems, such as in your car, a good sound system, etc. The only way I've ever been able to know how well or poorly a song will translate on other systems is to actually play it on other systems. These days, I've added a consumer sound amp in my studio, two sets of consumer speakers (a small set and a larger more expensive set), and then also a really lousy computer amp/speaker from the 90s (it has 2 inch speakers) which I also try in mono. I also listen on a set of cans, but more so because they're more sensitive to things I may not hear on speakers. I've found that, if my songs sound good on all of these as well as my studio monitors, then it will sound good on almost every system. This approach saves me from having to save a copy onto a device just to try it in all those other places outside the studio.

Finally, I'd be lying if I didn't admit I still like to try songs in a vehicle. I'll do that over a week or two multiple times because it makes me really listen and find little things I want to fix. After that, it's done - it has to be, or I'll ruin it by continuing to make changes for ever. Songs are never truly finished, they're just ultimately abandoned. I've found that it's better to do that sooner than later if I feel it's working. I do the same by printing tracks when I feel they're done; that makes me commit, move on, and work other songs.

I find that with guitar it's much better to mic up an amp.
Even a tiny practice amp gives a lot better results than direct.
Direct is just "dead" for want of a better word.
Even if you lay on a lot of compression and effects.
It just doesn't have a good room sound.
You just can't get the same thing with effects.
Maybe with very expensive effects but nothing I own.

I can't really get too worked up about it.
At best my stuff are just rough demos.
The drums are just the cheapest set of electric drums available.
Some no name Chinese set I got off amazon some time back that cost around $100.
I plug a set of monitor speakers into the headphone jack of the drum set and mic the speakers up for the drums.
It's ok for what I'm up to right now.

The care stereo is the best test.

I wasn't criticizing; I was only offering ways to help by sharing what I've learned over the decades recording my own bands and those of others. As I've mentioned a couple of times, I really like your song! You get a great groove going and your recording chops are already good. Keep up the great work!

Yeah I know. I didn't take it as criticism.
Thanks for the kind words!

New threads

Members online