Beginner's recording question (about getting levels)

Gabz

Gear owned
None
Can someone please help me with a recording question? I would like to know if, when you are getting levels, (in preparation for recording to multitrack), do you use the Pan? I'm at the stage where I haven't yet assigned any channels to the program busses. I've read a few articles on this but they seem a bit inconsistent on this matter. Thanks!

I don't see the relevance, really, since levels are done as each signal comes into the board. I try to make sure each analog input has an optimal level without overloading ofcourse - depending on the type of instrument somewhere around -12 dB. After the AD stage I simply pan what I want to pan to hear each instrument musically - so identical or similar instruments go away from each other in the panorama to hear playing issues.

I don't use buses in the recording stage - every channel is recorded through the IF/FW card after AD conversion. This method ofcourse can be limited by the type of gear you are using.

Thank you for your reply - very helpful. (Btw I'm using an old Tascam m600 analog split console - hence the buses.)

New threads

Members online