Best low cost speakers for tascam dp 800ex

Radar

Gear owned
Tascam porta dp 800 ex
I have just puchased my first records but can't get any info on best low cost speakers to use.

There are plenty of articles about recording monitors. You'll just have to search. There are literally hundreds of models to choose from. Search something like "best recording monitors for home studio".

Reactions: Mark Richards
Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-
I've just bought a pair of presonus eris 3.5 for £85.
Althought the bass end only goes down to 80Hz, in the small space that I have, only 900mm triangle between my head and the speakers. I'm pretty blown away by the quality for the price.
If my wife would let me have the whole living room instead of just a corner, I would have saved my pennies and gone for the 5" or 8".

I've been using Presonus Eris E3.5 3.5 inch Active Studio Monitors for a few years now and no complaints at all. You can pick up a pair for around 80 quid.

Reactions: JSchmo_Bass
Agree, I have the same experience- for this price the Eris 3.5 are incredible. Get a better quality speaker wire connection between the Right and Left however... switching the wire made subtle but worthwhile difference.

Reactions: -mjk-
Good tip, JSchmo_Bass. I have always thought the wire connections seemed a bit delicate. What would I search for to purchase an upgrade?

Reactions: -mjk-
Emma

I had a bit of 12 gauge speaker wire laying about.

But something like this, any decently thick wire would do. Try an old lamp cord or cut up a cheap extension cord/lead.

the key thing is to get a significantly bigger diameter of metal vs the skinny little bit of wire they included with the speakers

Reactions: Emma Boyd and -mjk-
Electricity flows along the surface of a conductor. This is called "skin effect" so the more surface, the better. In the old days, I use to use large gauge welding cable as a system ground because it is a massive cable made of a myriad of strands of individual wires.

New threads

Members online