Best option to replace sound card for mastering

jtman

Gear owned
2488 MkII 788
Hi everyone,

I have a 2488 MkII, which still works great, and recently upgraded the hard drive to a 160 gb model. I want to take my finished masters from the 2488, transfer over to my Dell PC (3 years old), and then use Sonar X1/Ozone 6 to do a final master. The problem I've encountered is I have an old sound card in the PC, an M-Audio Delta 2496 Audiophile model, which worked flawlessly until about a year ago. That's when I first noticed a flutter/wow-type sound when playing back some files in iTunes. These same files play perfectly on my iPhone and iPod, and when these devices are plugged into my car's sound system. After lots of reading on the internet, it sounds like it must be either my sound card or some PC setting. Since the card is at least 12 years old, I figure maybe it's time.

So what are the best options out there? I figure most of us are trying to do similar things with our masters, so I'm sure many of you have gone through this process already. Seems like sound cards are on the decline and audio interfaces are now the way to go, through usb. I'm fine with that, but don't really need the mic inputs and pre-amps, etc - although those are okay too, if the sound is great. I was looking at the Tascam US 4x4, seems to have great specs. Sounds like adequate drivers are a big issue with many of these devices - I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit. I've spent hours and hours reading on different sites, but it seems like most of those are directed at users who record on their PCs and thus need such an interface. We're a slightly different group here, so hoping for some input from an expert who can lead us all in the right direction on this. Really hoping to hear from Keith S., who I consider the guru of all things 2488. Would appreciate any constructive input. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

New threads

Members online

No members online now.