Best sd card for the model 16

musicianvw

Gear owned
tascam 32sd
hi what is the best most compatible sd card you guys have found with the model 16 thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Exactly Hammarlund... my experience tells me that the faster the speed of the SD-card... the lesser the risk that the card can't handle the amount of data transfer/write/playback required to do a multichannel recording/mix/master.

That's why I choose to use cards that can handle high resolution video. It's a shame though, that the manufactures doesn't bother with giving data about how the cards can handle AUDIO!:mad:

By the way... if one didn't want to bye "cheaper" "Reel to Reel" tapes... back in the "good old days". Thinking "Old School" here... = the centuries of the magnificent late 60's & 70's, and to a certain degree the early 80's, when the most progressive musical development of music in history was created...

... then... why bye cheaper cards in this "modern age" when the cost per MB/GB are as cheap as they have ever been?:oops:

If it takes (a little) more money to accomplish your musical dreams... it's definitely worth it! :D

Last edited:
I have a Transcend SDHC I 60mb/s 400x 32 GB card in my Model 16. I tend to dump all my projects when I'm done with them, though, so I don't store much on it. I've never had any trouble with it nor run out of space.

Blue Monster 65... Yup... I does almost the same myself... I copy/transfer all my SD data to my computer after almost every new recording, and I save it as a "double copy" on two separate H-disc, the same way as I always have 2 copies/backups of everything I do or save to the computer.

Being cheap on the medium is always false economy.

I’ll agree with that! SSD hard drives for me.

EDIT: Yes, I know that statement is redundant!

Reactions: Freebird
Mine is a Lexar 64 GB 633x I previously used with my camera and I've had no problems with using it in the Tascam.

In the Digital Portastudio world, we have found that the only cards to use are the ones that are approved by Tascam. @Andy R. I know you said "no problems" but this isn't like a bicycle, where you can see the tires going flat, or there is a squeak developing. There is never a problem - until there is a problem - and it hits hard, and suddenly and without warning (I am speaking from personal experience). I had a Sandisk Ultra card like yours (32G size) and I was going along fine. Then, while punching in and using the machine exactly like I had many times in the past, I hit the wall. The machine locked up and my song files were corrupted.

My card was not on the approved list. I got an approved card and since that time I have only had operator problems.

Anybody else dealing with skipping/glitches? | TASCAM Forums

File Error | TASCAM Forums

Edit: It seems strange that the Ultra series is on the Model 16/24 tested/approved list, because this card will not work in the Digital Portastudios machines, where only the Extreme Pro SD cards will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy R.
I had my Model 16 about 10 months. I got a SanDisk Ultra Plus SDXC UHS-1 with 64GB speed up to 130MB/s.

No problems.
I am using the exact same SanDisk Ultra 64gig card - zero issues , about 1/2 full now. On sale at Walgreens right now for usd $26 for those of you who are US based. I just bought another one tonight.

Reactions: Andy R.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.