Brand new tascam us-4x4hr problems

Victor Kennedy

Gear owned
Tascam US-4x4HR
Hello all,

I've just bought a new Tascam US-4x4HR and already there are a few issues with it which I'm hoping someone can help out with. I'm using it with a MacBook Pro running OS X Catalina 10.15.7, and its set to 48k.

Firstly, for example, when listening to clips on YouTube or other online sources, I keep getting micro dropouts in the audio. These are only like little clicks and glitches, but it can cut off the first part of a word etc, and is both annoying and obviously not the way a brand new A/D Interface should behave.

Second: I'm using it with Presonus Studio One 5 Professional recording software, and today I went about doing a trial recording of an Acoustic Guitar using 2 Behringer C2 mics to make a Stereo recording onto a Stereo track in the DAW.
I have the 2 mics plugged into Inputs 1 + 2 on the interface, with the Phantom power On, and the Input of the track in Studio One DAW set to receive signal from L+R of the US-4x4HR, which is as it should be done. As I understand it, Inputs 1 and 2 are considered to be L+R Inputs within any DAW, as they are the ones to be used for Stereo tracking. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I understood before buying the Interface.

The problem is that only the Mic from Input 1 on the interface is getting a decent level, and the Mic on Input 2 is barely registering, even with the input gain on the interface set properly. This should not be happening, and I really need to get this sorted out so I can get on with the session.

All help will be gratefully appreciated.

Apologies...I usually use my Allen & Heath QU16 in the main studio room, and just got the little Tascam to use in the lounge room for relaxed writing etc.
I did in fact make a big boo boo mistake...One of the inputs was still set on Line Input as opposed to Mic Input.
It's working ok now...Just have to figure out the best way to stop Click Bleed when recording Acoustic Guitar.

the best way to stop Click Bleed when recording Acoustic Guitar.
Hi Victor, and welcome!
To reduce or get rid of click sounds getting through to your mics, there are a couple of things you can do:
1. Use closed back headphones and/or lower the volume as much as possible.
2. Use a click sound that stands out from the guitar notes (higher or lower pitched) so that you can after recording take them out with a spectral editing tool in the DAW.
3. Use a click light i.s.o. of a sound (like PunchLight) - or an old fashioned mechanical metronome.

Thanks for your reply Arjan.
I'll need to do some experimenting, as I think there's some glitch/issue within Presonus S1. It's even Recording the metronome to a track without any form of input from the Interface.
I've tried many variations without success, and am trying to get response from the Presonus Forums.
It may be that there's an issue with my instance of the S1 software...I mean my personal instance.
I'm sure it can be worked through eventually, but it sure is frustrating as I'm not a newcomer to using digital DAWs and recording in general, and have used click/metronomes hundreds of times in other DAWs such as Logic and Pro Tools.
I actually bought Studio One just a week ago as I had tried the Demo and saw that it's a lot better than Pro Tools and has a fantastic workflow, with lots of Drag /Drop functionality.

As for my other query re; the Tascam 4x4 'clicks/dropouts' while watching YouTube, I think it may be the fact that I had Studio One open at the same time, and it may have been sucking to much of my Macbook's CPU...dunno about that yet, but shall report back if any problems arise.

Once again, thank you for replying, and I hope your creative endeavours are fruitful...Cheers

New threads

Members online

No members online now.