Broken Slider

Mark Nicholson

From
San Diego, CA
Gear owned
Model 12
Hey guys,

I just moved house and unpacked my Model 12 to discover that one of the sliders was broken in transit:

V8OoWpP.jpg

3IPWqXk.jpg

The slider still works, but the plastic bit that the metal bit fits into on the board is broken and the metal slider no longer stays in. I could work the slider with a matchstick (extra points for grunge) but any suggestions for a better repair?

Thanks,

- Mark

Unfortunately Mark, you should open it up and replace the fader. That's the only way. It got broken because of stress. Chances are the resistive layer is also damaged. There is also the possibility of some cracked solder joints too. I'd give it a good visual inspection while open and touch up anything near to the fader. While the new part is on order you can set it with a toothpick and leave it.

That I cannot tell you. I would get the manufacturer's part number somehow and source that. Service manual, visual check, Tascam inquiry, etc..

Good luck with the Model 12 repair Mark, it will be very interesting to hear how you get on, keep us all posted.

Also be great to see some photos of inside the Model 12 - if you have time please post some here!

Hello, new to the forum..

On a related topic - I need to open my Model 12 in order to clean it after a certain accident involving the (plugged in and running) console and a splash of unknown liquid into the fader area of channels 1 and 2. Now they are malfunctioning, sending wrong data when I move them.

What I would like to ask is how do I remove the potentiometer knobs and the buttons from channel faders, because otherwise I cannot fully disassemble the unit and clean it.

Thanks in advance. :)

I wondered the same - the knobs on my M12 seem very reluctant to be pulled off and i don't want to use excessive force.

It might be worth trying a squirt of contact cleaner into the faders and then sweeping them up and down for a while.

Good luck and let us know how you get on, if you do get the M12 open, please post some pics!

I can post photos of the main circuit board from the bottom as I only managed to dismantle the "wooden" plastic side pieces plus the bottom metal plate.
I also wonder if it is possible to buy the main channel faders as replacement.

BTW is you run some app like MIDI Monitor, you will see that the main channel volume faders are translated in your computer as pitch bend with a range that I dont remember exactly, but it's something like -8000 to +8000 (or 6K?) - I don't know if this is the standard way to do this, but to me it just seems like an overkill level of precision and a possible weak point as my faulty faders jitter approx. -4000 of these units and back when I move them by just a milimeter (from barely audible to waaay loud)

New threads

Staff online

Members online