Can 2488 MKII restore files be imported into a Neo or another MKII?

AstraLeadGuitar

From
British near Le Mans, France.
Website
www.astramusic.org
Gear owned
Tascam 2488 Mark II

Hello, Tascam Forum readers!

I’d like to ask fellow users of the Tascam 2488 MKII a straightforward question: can Tascam Backup/Restore.001 files be imported into a Tascam 2488 MKII other than the one which created them? This would stand to reason that files would be intercompatible of course but I need to be sure.

Why do I want to do this, you might ask. Well, my 2488 MKII has just gone literally bananas! A minute after turning on, it won’t respond to buttons, functions switch on by themselves, lights flash, and windows come up on the screen. Not even the shutdown button works! I’ve been told by Sennheiser France that it might be the motherboard which costs 368 Euros not incl. tax, + a 42-Euro diagnostic fee.

This costs so much that I think the money is better spent on buying the new DP-24. The thing is I need to access all the recordings I’ve done in order to continue with the mixing, etc. I’ve diligently done backups but annoyingly, Tascam have told me that the DP-24 won’t import the Restore files from the 2488 MKII, only Wav files. But I can’t convert individual tracks into Wav because the machine is no longer working!

So, I thought maybe if I could get my hands on a second-hand 2488 MKII or hire one, I could do the necessary conversions and transfers. But this would only work if the Restore files are intercompatible between other 2488MKIIs.

Does anyone know? Could you inform me – thanks a lot!
Astra.

Last edited:
I would be extremely surprised if you could not restore your backups into another 2488 MKii. That would mean that no one would ever be able to restore their songs if their unit died, which yours seems to be doing.

I have not used a 2488MKii, but I have two 2488Neos and swap backups between the two all the time. I imagine it would be the same with the MKii.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to confirm.

Hello, cda,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree with what you say - it seems reasonable to assume that the 2488 MKII would be made in the same way as your Neo. Personally, I think it is a great oversight on the part of Tascam not to have envisaged that a 2488 user might want to upgrade to the DP-24 and import 2488 Backup files without faffing about with exporting individual Wav files.

Anyway, this leads me to another question. I think it might be easier for me to obtain a second-hand 2488 Neo than the older 2488 MKII. So, can 2488 MKII Back files be imported into the 2488 Neo?! Does anyone know the answer to that question? I've changed the title of this thread accordingly. Thanks everybody.

Last edited:
Hello, everyone,
For the future reference of people on this forum, here is Tascam's response:

"The MKII backup files will open on any other '2488MKII' model, as well as on any '2488neo' model. The original 2488, however, cannot be recommended, as it has an older operating system."

This leads me to my next question which I think deserves a new thread. Is there any software out there which will convert the 2488 MKII / Neo Tascam Backup/Restore.001 file format into the current format compatible with the DP-24?

Hi,

if you are getting another MKII then simply swap the Hard Drives over. If the HDD is good then all songs will be available to you. In principle you could put your MKII drive into a NEO, but I wouldn't advise it as the 2488 will automatically format an unrecognised drive, without asking first!!

The backup files are interchangeable between MKII and NEO so you will have no problem if you do get a NEO as a replacement. I have imported MK1 files into a NEO but with the obvious loss of the drum patterns, which are not available in the MKII and NEO.

Ian

Hello, everyone,
For the future reference of people on this forum, here is Tascam's response:

"The MKII backup files will open on any other '2488MKII' model, as well as on any '2488neo' model. The original 2488, however, cannot be recommended, as it has an older operating system."

Thanks for taking the time to post this update. This is interesting to know.

The more I think about it, the more I would recommend a replacement MKII. Definitely the lowest risk. I wouldn't worry too much about solder joints failing in the replacement. It tends to be a fairly random thing, but definitely brought on by thermal stresses.

Ian

New threads

Members online

No members online now.