Can I Use a DAW to Mix Backup Files?

RD Maynard

Gear owned
Tascam DP 008EX
I'm a noob, so forgive me if this question has been answered before - I did search for it. I've been able to use WavePad to edit and add effects, eq, etc., to the exported .wav files from my DP-008EX. I have also copied several backup, (I think MTR, e.g., "*.001",) files to my computer with the aim of trying to fine-tune the 8-channel mixes with a DAW. So far, I haven't had any success. Is this even possible and, if so, what app or software do I need to do it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
No, you can’t that way.
BACKUP is just to save a complete song outside the DP (it is a container file which can only be read again by another similar device, 2 channel DP) with the RESTORE function.
If you want to work on single tracks outside the DP use the EXPORT function. And to get them back processed the IMPORT function.

Thanks. Since I posted this question, I spent a bit more time with the unit and "discovered" how to use this function. I got all the exported tracks into Pro Tools First, but I'm not sure it's the best DAW for my purposes. What other DAWs might work for someone who has a very limited budget? I'm not looking to recreate "Sgt. Pepper's", I just want to make a demo for local venues.

Reaper. Comes with all the stock plugins and capability you need. Non crippled demo that will work to perpetuity.

I've just started using Audacity. It's completely free and I've been really quite impressed so far.

Thanks for all the great answers. But now I have another question: A former bandmate sent me some .wav files of tunes he had recorded a while ago, with the idea that I can import them into my DP-008 and add bass tracks. I tried importing them according to the instructions in the manual, but the unit is not finding them. Is there a special procedure to follow to do this? (I DID try both copying them to the card and transferring them via USB. I also created an empty song to transfer them to.) Can anyone recommend a way to do this?

They are not bare bone 16bit/44,1kHz wave files. If the coding doesn’t match the DP format, the files are not shown.
Compare the codec properties of an exported DP file against your new files on a computer: You will find quickly the deviation.

New threads

Members online