Can't monitor the playback

Giuseppe Barbera

Gear owned
dm4800 -iffw dm MKii
Hallo everybody, i'm new in the forum, from Sicily. I'm a sound engineer and recently i changed my digidesign
and DM 24 with a Dm4800 and IF-FW DM MKII interface.
Thi is the problem, averithing is ok, works perfectly, except...
When i'm recording a and try to monitor the return (the playback) and not the source, no sound comes from the mixer. try to explain, for example, i listen a recorded track via slot 1. 1-2 on channel 25-26...OK.
iF i record a track and quit the stereo assign to listen only the playback from Pro tools....i can't. the same out don't make a sound.
gear:
Dm4800 (version 1.70)
if-fwdmkII (version 1.30, Firmware 1.02 )
Protools 12.6 (monitor green when i want listen the playback)
Mac Os 10.9.5
2x 2.26 ghz quad core intel xeon
32 gb Ram
Hd ssd 1TB
hope someone can help. didn't find anything on the forum i need to start a new record soon.
Grazie mille in anticipo.

Buon Giorno @Giuseppe Barbera . Perhaps, you might consider posting some screenshots of your routing setup. I would tend to believe that the issue that you are experiencing may be a result of incorrect or missing routes. Va bene, a presto!

Hi. Thanks for The reply , you mean screenshot of The mixer routing? Or The protools?
I don’t undersfand why The same out works in play and not in monitor mode, i.e. With The record button and The green I hitted.
In next replay i will post some screen of The Dm4800 routing. Grazie a domani.

@Giuseppe Barbera You should consider posting screenshots of the way that you have things routed in both Pro tools and the DM. Setup a very small project when doing so. Best way to avoid confusion. Unfortunately, I do not use Pro tools myself. But, should be the same as other DAW's generally speaking.

@Giuseppe Barbera Why monitor from Protools anyway? You can monitor directly from the DM-4800 all latency-free. I do the same with Cubase, and can add EQ and FX (reverb for the performer for example) on the monitored channels while recording a clean signal into the DAW at the same time.

@Arjan P . I know i can monitor The direct signal. But is a just in case. I did it before and now with The same mixer and the same software, but with The digidesign via Adat easily, so why i can’t do it with The IF-FW via FireWire? What changes ?
@Peter Batah i will try to post some screen.
Thanks to both of you.

@Giuseppe Barbera Why monitor from Protools anyway? You can monitor directly from the DM-4800 all latency-free. I do the same with Cubase, and can add EQ and FX (reverb for the performer for example) on the monitored channels while recording a clean signal into the DAW at the same time.
I would love to see the routing setup to achieve this on a 4800.

I am wanting to do the same with the DAW. Can you share your routing / work flow setup?

Thanks,

OK, so let's assume we have a simple project: a stereo backing track needs lead vocals. The backing track comes from the DAW and is routed to the mixer (in my case through the IF-FW/DM card) on channels 1/2 and we can hear it in the monitor speakers. The singer's mic is connected to mixer channel 3. On that channel we put some reverb since it's nice to sing with a little on - this will not be recorded. We mix the 2 sources to a nice sound for the performance.

Now we go to the Output Slot Tab of the Routing Pages (or the Output Tab if you don't have the IF-FW/DM) and here we assign the M/L-3 input to the selected output we need it to go to. The procedure is: select the output type you want the mic to go to (unprocessed, only gain) with the right and middle sections of the screen. So as an example I want to use IFFW channel 1 so I select 'Slot 1 Trk 1-8' in the middle, then on the left I put 'M/L-3' in the first of the eight lines (channel 9 would be on the first line of 'Slot 1 Trk 9-16', ch 17 on 'Slot 1 Trk 17-24 first line etc). Voilá, that's all. Wait, one more thing: switch off monitoring of the input track in the DAW.

Thanks again Arjan. This is a smooth workflow. I do have a follow-up question. In this example the vocal in M/L 3 is routed to your FW Slot-1-1. to be recorded.

Are you recording this using direct mode? Clearly this is a pre-fader / effect signal since you can record it dry. I think the manual confused me regarding Direct Record vs. Input Bypass and Loopback mode.

Thanks for your info and sharing. Its really appreciated.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.