Can't monitor the playback

Discussion in 'TASCAM DM-3200 & DM-4800' started by Giuseppe Barbera, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Giuseppe Barbera

Giuseppe Barbera New Member

Gear:
    dm4800 -iffw dm MKii
    Hallo everybody, i'm new in the forum, from Sicily. I'm a sound engineer and recently i changed my digidesign
    and DM 24 with a Dm4800 and IF-FW DM MKII interface.
    Thi is the problem, averithing is ok, works perfectly, except...
    When i'm recording a and try to monitor the return (the playback) and not the source, no sound comes from the mixer. try to explain, for example, i listen a recorded track via slot 1. 1-2 on channel 25-26...OK.
    iF i record a track and quit the stereo assign to listen only the playback from Pro tools....i can't. the same out don't make a sound.
    gear:
    Dm4800 (version 1.70)
    if-fwdmkII (version 1.30, Firmware 1.02 )
    Protools 12.6 (monitor green when i want listen the playback)
    Mac Os 10.9.5
    2x 2.26 ghz quad core intel xeon
    32 gb Ram
    Hd ssd 1TB
    hope someone can help. didn't find anything on the forum i need to start a new record soon.
    Grazie mille in anticipo.
  2. Peter Batah

Peter Batah Well-Known Member

Montreal, Canada
    Gear:
    DM4800 / MU1000
    Buon Giorno @Giuseppe Barbera . Perhaps, you might consider posting some screenshots of your routing setup. I would tend to believe that the issue that you are experiencing may be a result of incorrect or missing routes. Va bene, a presto!
  3. Giuseppe Barbera

Gear:
    dm4800 -iffw dm MKii
    Hi. Thanks for The reply , you mean screenshot of The mixer routing? Or The protools?
    I don’t undersfand why The same out works in play and not in monitor mode, i.e. With The record button and The green I hitted.
    In next replay i will post some screen of The Dm4800 routing. Grazie a domani.
  4. Peter Batah

Montreal, Canada
    Gear:
    DM4800 / MU1000
    @Giuseppe Barbera You should consider posting screenshots of the way that you have things routed in both Pro tools and the DM. Setup a very small project when doing so. Best way to avoid confusion. Unfortunately, I do not use Pro tools myself. But, should be the same as other DAW's generally speaking.
  5. Arjan P

Arjan P Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Gear:
    DM3200 IFFW
    @Giuseppe Barbera Why monitor from Protools anyway? You can monitor directly from the DM-4800 all latency-free. I do the same with Cubase, and can add EQ and FX (reverb for the performer for example) on the monitored channels while recording a clean signal into the DAW at the same time.
  6. Giuseppe Barbera

Gear:
    dm4800 -iffw dm MKii
    @Arjan P . I know i can monitor The direct signal. But is a just in case. I did it before and now with The same mixer and the same software, but with The digidesign via Adat easily, so why i can’t do it with The IF-FW via FireWire? What changes ?
    @Peter Batah i will try to post some screen.
    Thanks to both of you.
  7. Giuseppe Barbera

Gear:
    dm4800 -iffw dm MKii
    Problem Solved. it was enough switch off the "low latency monitoring" on Protools and it works fine. Thank you all
    Arjan P and Peter Batah like this.
  8. Peter Batah

Montreal, Canada
    Gear:
    DM4800 / MU1000
  9. Giuseppe Barbera

Gear:
    dm4800 -iffw dm MKii