Clearing snapshot memory

Chrisbo

Gear owned
DM 24
Hi all ,

I recently bought a second hand DM 24 . As I wanted to start from scratch ( like new out of the box ) I did a reset , as explained on the internet . This was fine , only I noticed that the snapshots are still there . Is there a simple way to clear them all at once or so I have to edit one by one as I program new snapshots ?
Did not find anything in the manual .

Thanks ,

Chrisbo

No, apart from updating the firmware (that clears libraries) or loading a blank library from a previous backup.
NEVER clear the Flash memory on the diag mode !!!

This would be useful, if someone has a newly updated DM24 he could save the blank libraries and share it ?

We're not talking firmware, we're talking snapshot presets that show up after a reset. There are only 4 preset snapshots in the latest software update, snapshots 0-3. They should not cause any problems as they are part of the original software reset.
You can find their use descriptions in the "dm24_release_notes_version2" pdf, and they should actually be useful for a new user. (Also dm24_V21_en.pdf.) Updates the manual on a lot of things.

But if you just need 4 more slots to store settings you can just delete them or overwrite them I think, even from a blank preset (if I recall correctly snapshots 4 and up are blank by default.)

Now unlike the DM24 the DM4800 is a giant patchbay, you can even program feedback loops and occasionally I have had weird digital audio glitches I solved by creating a "zero preset" as my starting point. But I haven't had these problems on the DM24, and the 4 presets that you get are easy enough to delete.

Will Miho said:
We're not talking firmware, we're talking snapshot presets that show up after a reset. There are only 4 preset snapshots in the latest software update, snapshots 0-3. They should not cause any problems as they are part of the original software reset.
You can find their use descriptions in the "dm24_release_notes_version2" pdf, and they should actually be useful for a new user. Also read dm24_V21_en.pdf. They update the manual on a lot of things.

Well, if the firmware update was not the subject, I answered what was asked, it is not the case of your answer. firmware update is THE way to clear all the snapshot memories in one time, apart from loading a blank library.

Will Miho said:
But if you just need 4 more slots to store settings you can just delete them or overwrite them I think, even from a blank preset (if I recall correctly snapshots 4 and up are blank by default.)

You didn't read the question.
And you cannot delete or modify the preset snapshots.

No. Firmware updates are not "THE way to reset the console." Resetting the console is when you do an SRAM INIT. Yes this is typically done *after* a firmware update, but it is a distinct and separate operation.

Firmware updates are serious things to be avoided if at all possible. Screw up a firmware update and you can brick any electronic device. If you do brick your DM24, I have posted the emergency procedures to try the firmware update again in the documents section; "Reprogramming Eproms That Have Been Totally Corrupted."

You are right you can't overwrite presets 0-3. Hadn't actually messed with that for a while.

"How to do an SRAM INIT."
INITIALIZATION PROCESS
1. With the power OFF hold down the 2nd F button (far left of the board), the HIGH button (just above in the EQ section) and the – button (just to the right in the LIBRARY section) while you turn the power ON.
2. The DM-24 will boot to DIAGNOSTIC MODE. As soon as you see DIAGNOSTIC MODE on the display you may release the 2nd F, HIGH and – buttons.
3. Use the “Down cursor key” to move the indicator to SRAM INIT (NOT SRAM INIT for factory TEST) and press ENTER.
4. Press ENTER again to confirm when prompted. A check mark will appear in the box next to SRAM INIT on the display.
5. Use the “Down cursor key” to move the indicator to FLASH INFORMATION CLEAR and press ENTER.
6. Press ENTER again to confirm when prompted. A check mark will appear in the box next to FLASH INFORMATION CLEAR on the display.
7. Use the “Down cursor key” to move the indicator to EXIT and press ENTER. This will reset the DM-24 back to the original factory settings and the DM-24 will reboot.

BTW, I have had to do SRAM INITS on digital mixers that cost 100x more than the DM24. When the operating software does not function properly anymore, the SRAM has become corrupted. Often every time you do a save you just compound the problem.

Never clear the flash information !
That's just stupid, and explained on this forum, you clear the number of time your flash memory has been accessed. To do only when you replace the chip.

Berl. Dude. You contradict yourself and Tascam's written directions when you advise resetting a console with a firmware update but without an SRAM INIT, as the SRAM INIT directions I posted above are in fact the last step in Tascam's instructions for a firmware update. So you are dead wrong to advise an SRAM INIT is only for when you change a chip - what genius told you that?

An SRAM INIT is a hard reset to factory settings for many Tascam devices, and we have discussed this for the DM24 as far back as 2005. Google it. An SRAM INIT on a DM3200 also resets to factory settings. It is the same on Calrec digital consoles which cost 100 times more than a DM24.

I mean jeez, exactly what is wrong with "clearing the count of how many times flash ram has been accessed"? What do you think you are doing when you reset any electronic device to factory settings, a midi keyboard, a digital reverb that has gone stupid?

Will, once again you have not read what was written.
I say and that's also written on the Tascam service manual that :
Never clear the flash information !
That's just stupid, and explained on this forum, you clear the number of time your flash memory has been accessed. To do only when you replace the chip.

You wrote :
5. Use the “Down cursor key” to move the indicator to FLASH INFORMATION CLEAR and press ENTER.

You gave a wrong information, something THAT MUST NOT BE DONE !!!

I have written nothing about the SRAM INIT.
If you have read (and understood) what I wrote, then you intentionally deformed them.
Otherwise you don't read (or understand) what is written.

Berl, please post a link to the document you claim says this, and in what context. I have _quoted_ from Tascam documents what is a standard procedure when resetting a DM24 console. You are objecting to Tascam's own directions, procedures I have done at least 4 times on my DM24 with zero problems.

I refer you to this Tascam DM24 document http://tascam.com/content/downloads/pro ... _16_02.pdf

It says on page 15 that after upgrading the firmware via midi - which I have done several times on my DM24 from 1.xx all the way to 3.0 - "....you will need to initialize your DM-24. Please see the end of this document for that procedure." This procedure is what I quoted above, it does include clearing the flash ram. At the end of the procedure it says and I quote "This will reset the DM-24 back to the original factory settings..." This is how you reset a DM24 to factory settings - not a firmware up date as you claimed, which actually REQUIRES you to do this after anyway! And this is the first thing that a repair guy tries when you send your wonky DM24 in for servicing, or Lexicon Reverb or Yamaha Keyboard that went stupid, you reinitialize it to factory settings.

You can call me stupid, but I have used this board a lot longer than you Berl. The information you are giving out is not right, I can tell you this from experience with the DM24 for over 10 years and also with other Tascam boards. If you say this is from the service manual, either you are quoting it out of context or the service manual has an error in it, this procedure was used by every one of us who upgraded our firmware via MIDI. And when people followed your advice you solved no one's problem, but many people on the older forum solved theirs with a SRAM INIT including clearing flash memory as described in this document. Have you ever upgraded a DM24's firmware? You didn't even know that the MkII firewire card does not work with a DM24! Dude.

Search the files for Tascam DM-24 Service Manual on this forum.
Read page 19.
And please stop fighting against me, I am not your ennemy. Just a technician that repairs its 7 DM24 and DM4800 and also work with them. I try to help here. If I make an error I accept it.

tascam-dm-24-637156.jpg

Look Berl. Explain to me what the procedure is to update the operating system on a Tascam DM24 from 2.0 to 3.0. Look it up - Tascam says you have to clear flash ram - not by itself, but when you also SRAM Init. Not only does the written instructions from Tascam's website say this, but I have done this many times, as has every longtime user that upgraded their operating systems. I was part of the old Tascam Forums too Berl, long before you bought your first DM24. Do some damn research for God's sake.
You are only 5% right but 95% wrong. Don't clear the flash ram as a separate procedure unless you have changed flash chips, ok. But to reset the console or to update the software, you SRAM INIt and clear flash.

You show me a software update procedure, or a console reset procedure document that says different than what I quoted from Tascam above, and get back to me. There ISN'T ONE. It's all there is dude. Call Tascam if you still don't get it.

Will, the document is the SERVICE Manual, the REFERENCE , the BIBLE !!!
You are confused because you don't know what is ram and flash rom and their use is different.

When you reset the console, you do a you SRAM INIt and that's all. You must not clear the counter that warns you when you flash ROM has to be changed.

If you have done so many times, don't cry the day when you flash rom will be in end of life, it will lost data and you will not be warned.

And about the old Tascam forum, yes I was there also. I helped as an electronician and a technician, it is not so easy for me to do so in English. I owned my fist DM-24 in 2005, now I own 7 of them in perfect condition, I changed screens, faders, a lot of switchs, rotary encoders, some input boards, repair all the digital power suppy unit and also some analog ones, be a part of the 2seemy test and set-up. On my DM-24's. Yes sir! I think I know about what I am speaking.

There is no link in the documents section to the service manual. I know this having put the link there myself, to Tascam's site for all the DM24 pdf's. I expect you are missing the nuance of a service manual originally written in Japanese translated into English. You are after all, French.

However Tascam's page on the DM24 does contains these two documents regarding software updates and initializing the DM24 to factory settings. Both of which describe the same reset / initialization procedure you protest so loudly, that you fear will destroy a user's DM24.

"UPDATING THE DM-24 FIRMWARE VIA MIDI"
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/pro ... _16_02.pdf

"DM24 DOWNLOADS UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS" "dm24_v3update_iffwdm_only"
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/pro ... m_only.pdf

They both conclude that after installing new firmware via MIDI, that -

"....you will need to initialize your DM-24....

INITIALIZATION PROCESS
1. With the power OFF hold down the 2nd F button (far left of the board), the HIGH button (just above in the EQ section) and the – button (just to the right in the LIBRARY section) while you turn the power ON.
2. The DM-24 will boot to DIAGNOSTIC MODE. As soon as you see DIAGNOSTIC MODE on the display you may release the 2nd F, HIGH and – buttons.
3. Use the “Down cursor key” to move the indicator to SRAM INIT (NOT SRAM INIT for factory TEST) and press ENTER.
4. Press ENTER again to confirm when prompted. A check mark will appear in the box next to SRAM INIT on the display.
6. Press ENTER again to confirm when prompted. A check mark will appear in the box next to FLASH INFORMATION CLEAR on the display.
7. Use the “Down cursor key” to move the indicator to EXIT and press ENTER. This will reset the DM-24 back to the original factory settings and the DM-24 will reboot. "

Ok Berl, now you've uploaded the Service Manual, which was published at firmware V1.51 (see page 24 where v1.10 is being updated to 1.51.) This old version manual calls this "Program update," and "System update", later Tascam called this firmware update. There were at least 4 other firmware updates up to 3.0. These later software versions and their documentation supercede previous manuals, and many new features were added.
Most of the updates to firmware included major additions updating the original operation manual, likewise Tascam's firmware update instructions above are the equivalent of a Service Bulletin update to the Service Manual. There may be other Service Bulletins on the DM24 - but I've never seen them.
Obviously there is a real concern about knowing how much life is left on the Flash ROM. But that is a lesser concern all things considered, and the only moral to that story is - your DM24 is an old console! Back it up!

I love my DMs and they sound great, that's why I also work to maintain them in good condition. Next week I will have 5 DMs out for a dance festival, 4 DM24 and my DM4800.
I hope the service manual will help, hardware has not changed (even if software has changed).

The reason for changing the procedure after your older service manual was published, could be something like changing what information is stored in the flash memory and what is stored in the SRAM in later firmware updates. Tascam added a lot of very useful features over time, squeezing out all the value they could from the DM24. You might have noticed that when some people who had console problems did not follow the reinitialization procedure I posted above, it did not reset their consoles.

Please Will upload the up-to-date service manual, it will help all of us.
I have two DM-24 to repair right now and I am puzzled : must I open them now I know my older service manual is not good? Thanks.

The manual updates and firmware updates had info in them, and they updated the reset procedure. I have not heard of other service bulletins other than information included with the updated software manuals and firmware update instructions.

Hello all.
I want to tell you the story that happened this morning.

A friend of mine called for help on Audiofanzine, with his DM-24 that stopped on a "Fatal Error xxxx 1A7" just at the end of fader calibration.
The mixer was unusable, and he tried nearly everything to unblock it.

Once he got this message, one week ago :
tascam-dm-24-852590.jpg

He came this morning to try to solve the problem at my workshop, and we swapped the PSU from one of mines, known good. Without success.
Then we decided to swap the main boards.
It solved the problem, but the answer was not a solution : finding a main board OK is nearly impossible. But, as he has a Firewire card, I decided to set up his eproms (3.0) on the working main board (as he needed this version to use his firewire).
And the DM failed again !!!
So, it was these eproms that were faulty.
We swap his motherboard (main board) back in place, with my eproms, and it worked OK again.
I had a set of the 3 eproms that I sold him to fix his console.
I call these chips "eproms" but there are actually flash memories, not eprom.

Now, think of it, when you clear the Flash counter information on the diagnostic mode, you clear the counter that should warn you when your flash memory is nearly dead. That's just what is written on the service manual...

Follow the thread on Audiofanzine if you want : http://fr.audiofanzine.com/console-numerique/tascam/DM-24/forums/t.115085,reinitialisation.html

Last edited:

New threads

Members online